Boston Grand Piano GP-178
  • This 5’10” instrument is exceptional in touch, tone, and appearance, and in my humble experience and opinion superior to any of its other Asian-manufactured counterparts
  • Its touch is definitely geared to please the demanding pianist
  • I found the tone of many Asian pianos that I’ve looked at to be too crisp and fundamental for my taste, but this piano contained more overtones, lending itself to a more full, lush, romantic sound
  • If you’re looking for a good piano for a serious musician or teacher on or off a budget, I highly, highly recommend this instrument

• by SarahElizabeth

The Boston series of pianos resulted as a collaboration between piano manufacturers Steinway and Kawai, with Steinway supplying the design and Kawai managing the production. The Boston GP-178, in particular, is my favorite of this series largely because it possesses good string speaking length for great sound while remaining under 6 feet long. This 5’10” instrument is exceptional in touch, tone, and appearance, and in my humble experience and opinion superior to any of its other Asian-manufactured counterparts.

Its touch is definitely geared to please the demanding pianist. It has the perfectly firm touch

– a feeling of substance under the fingers while not “playing like a truck.

” I find it perfect for those who are desiring to develop good technique. The Boston tone clearly shows off the Steinway design.

I found the tone of many Asian pianos that I’ve looked at to be too crisp and fundamental for my taste, but this piano contained more overtones, lending itself to a more full, lush, romantic sound. I was able to get my personal instrument even more so by having its hammers voiced by a Steinway technician before it ...

• was delivered to my home.

I love this piano’s dynamic range too; it’s very responsive, yielding both delicate tones and massive waves of sound… and everything between. I found that this piano, to me, has a desirable balance throughout the scale, possessing both a good, ringing treble and a powerful, lucid bass.

A lovely aspect of this instrument is the fact that is both durable and beautiful. My high-gloss ebony model stops even non-music-lovers in their tracks, but few would guess how easy it is to maintain this instrument.

I found that a cotton

flannel cloth and a spritz of water was all that I needed to get the polyester finish back to its original luster; the non-yellowing imitation ivory keys required only similar clean-up, and a twice-yearly tuning and a vacuuming of the inside once or twice a year finished the maintenance process. If you’re looking for a good piano for a serious musician or teacher on or off a budget, I highly, highly recommend this instrument.

It’s also a great buy as an instrument to “grow into” as well. The Boston GP-178 a beautiful and high-performance piano that’s actually affordable.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 141101949041231/k2311a0111/1.11.10