Dunn & Co coat  » Clothes  »
Princes Street, Edinburgh
  • Thus it was, that returning south in the winter, I found I was turning blue and feeling the need of warm clothing

• by Andrew HN Gray

As a sufferer from the cold, I had long found Edinburgh to be a particularly cold place. Friends would ask me how cold it was when I was up north and I would look at them in amazement. Didn’t they know that Edinburgh caught the wind coming off the North Sea making the city like a freezer? Just because I lived a hundred miles north didn’t mean that it was automatically colder. In fact, Aberdeen was a sight warmer. Thus it was, that returning south in the winter, I found I was turning blue and feeling the need of

warm clothing.

Previously, I had always thought of Dunn’s as an old man’s shop. It was always full of the sort of thing your Dad would wear. It sold hats like trilbies, for example, and tammies. Only American tourists wear tammies, don’t they? Well, it was only the thought of getting a garment that could keep the winter chill out that persuaded me to go in.

I was being bought the coat as a present from the old folks, which was nice of them and very thoughtful. I am sure that, left to my own devices, I would have bought ...

• a skiing jacket or something shorter and thicker. A sheepskin jacket maybe? However, that was not on offer. I was to be given a good, black overcoat made by Dunn & Company themselves, if their label was to be believed. I allowed the experienced man who had taken charge of me to try various styles and sizes of the garment on me until we found one that fitted.

I was surprised at how well this coat fitted me, I must admit. It was even elegant, if that isn’t too old-fashioned a word to use. It was single breasted and made

of Scottish Wool. I don’t think my father would have bought it if it had been anyone else’s wool! It was and is a solid, well-made coat of a quality that is hard to find these days unless you go to the likes of Jenners (House of Fraser) or a similar major store.

So we left the shop with a coat which has done me well and which keeps the winter chills of Edinburgh at bay. It is quite true. If you live in this city, you need to wear something warm. It’s fine in summer, but in winter, it’s arctic.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 551101948601231/k2311a0111/1.11.10