Benson & Hedges Filter Tip  » Other  »
  • I found that French ones were OK, but expensive and made you feel like a poseur
  • I always noticed that French girls smoked tabac blanc

• by Andrew HN Gray

When I was young, I started smoking a brand called, ‘Cadet’. That was back in the Sixties and I can still remember the taste. Like most cigarette smokers, I have tried all kinds of smokes, ranging from unfiltered to filtered, menthol-tipped to French, Spanish, Turkish and American cigarettes. The worst for my money were the cheap Spanish ones. You took them out of the soft-skinned packet and the tobacco all fell out. If half was still in the paper, you counted yourself lucky.

Gradually, I started to narrow down what I liked. I found that French ones were OK, but expensive and made you feel like a poseur. American ones like Marlboro gave me

a headache. I could never see the appeal of them, though one of my friends (a doctor, in fact) chain-smokes them. I found the delights instead, of Benson & Hedges.

I don’t know what decides one on a particular brand of anything. One minute I was smoking a kind whose name I can’t even remember now and then, it was B & H. It even has it’s own abbreviation. How cool is that? The packet is quite smart. That gold colour gives a quiet statement of class, which is rubbish, of course, because they’re just cigarettes. However, that was where Rothman’s got their appeal. The adverts always seemed to feature the hand of an ...

• airline pilot (equals money) and rings denoting rank on his sleeve (top man) and an expensive car’s gearstick. Well, I won’t delve too deeply into the significance of that. I’ll leave it to your imagination. However, by comparison, B & H was subdued. A bit like an aristocrat that doesn’t let slip that it’s really The Honourable John Smith, not just plain John Smith. A jolly decent chap. Reliable. Trustworthy. Of a good family, what?

In flavour terms, B & H are good. They don’t thrust some strong foreign type of tobacco at you, as some types of cigarette do. It’s the standard, ‘tabac blanc’, as the French call it, ‘white tobacco’. I always

noticed that French girls smoked tabac blanc. In a nation obsessed with itself, Frenchmen didn’t seem to notice that the girls wanted the fags the English guys were smoking. And who do you get them from? Not Pierre, that’s for sure. So, there was a certain patriotic,” I’m smoking B & H because I’m a Brit” attitude. There was the more common, “I smoke them because I happen to prefer them” attitude (my own feeling) and there was the social climber who thought he would look out of place smoking Number Six. Whichver side of the fence you’re on, however, they’re still good value and who notices what brand you smoke nowadays anyway?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 121101948591231/k2311a0111/1.11.10