Lost in Translation (2003)  » Movies  »
  • This film is very atmospheric with an ethereal soundtrack and the fantastic urban landscape of bustling Tokyo which I enjoyed
  • An atmospheric story of two people who need a friend in an amazing location
  • Lost in Translation is a delight that I would recommend

• by jeanne71

I am guilty of being a bit prejudiced about films and although Lost in Translation has Bill Murray as one of the leads and he was so funny in Ghostbusters etc, I assumed maybe he had gone down the same ‘comedian, once funny, now does sentimental stuff’ route, along the lines of Robin Williams or Steve Martin. I gave this film a try as it had got a good review on the internet and I am glad I

did - Bill Murray is fantastic in this and I loved it. Set in Tokyo, Murray plays a famous actor, Bob Harris, who is there because he is filming a cheesy whisky commercial and Scarlett Johansson plays Charlotte who has accompanied her photographer husband, John, who is there to do some work. Bob is staying in the same hotel as Charlotte and her husband and until they meet up in a bar and strike up a friendship, we seem them living their lives independently and we are shown their loneliness despite being surrounded by people. Obviously both Bob and Charlotte’s deeper needs are not being met and they are both feeling somewhat disillusioned with their lot. The foreign country they are in and the fact that everyone is speaking an indecipherable language around them seems to serve as a metaphor for their feelings of alienation. The American friends of Charlotte’s husband, John, are ...

• Lost in Translation (2003)
      speaking English but still Charlotte cannot relate to them and both Bob and Charlotte are glad to have found one another.

This film is very atmospheric with an ethereal soundtrack and the fantastic urban landscape of bustling Tokyo which I enjoyed. This is a subtle film, with no rampant sex scenes or action, but in its subtelty it manages to be a powerful film and I was very moved by the end and engrossed throughout. Directed by Sofia

Ford Coppola and co-produced by Francis Ford Coppola incidentally. Lost in Translation does not contain one cliche and is not at all sentimental. I could never tell if Bob and Charlotte were going to get together as lovers or not and I am glad about how the story panned out which I will not spoil for you.

An atmospheric story of two people who need a friend in an amazing location. Lost in Translation is a delight that I would recommend.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111001948400631/k2311a0110/1.10.10