Cosmi Game Company
0.5
  • Recently I purchased one of their CD-ROM computer games from a local store, as I thought it looked interesting
  • I don't think that's fair, as according to the back of the game box it is supposed to play on 98SE, ME, XP and Vista
  • I know games with similar requirements work just fine on my computer
  • I feel as if I were cheated as I bought a game I cannot play at all

• by bookwyrm

I am really disappointed with Cosmi. Recently I purchased one of their CD-ROM computer games from a local store, as I thought it looked interesting. It is one of their “hidden objects” types of games called “Pirateville”. I have never played one of these games before but I wanted to try it and see if I could get to the end. The game was brand new and sealed in plastic.

The game loaded onto my computer OK, but when I tried to open the game itself to play it, I only got an error message. Basically it told me to “Update

my operating system”. I don’t think that’s fair, as according to the back of the game box it is supposed to play on 98SE, ME, XP and Vista. My computer is one of those systems and it matches all of the other system requirements (and even surpasses it most times), so why ask me to update my operating system? That doesn’t make any sense to me.

I really don’t think that is fair. It is false advertising, as the back of the box claims to work on these types of Windows and then it doesn’t. I know games with similar ...

• requirements work just fine on my computer. I feel as if I were cheated as I bought a game I cannot play at all. Nor can I return it to the store as once software is opened you cannot return it. That means I am simply out the money I spent buying the game, as I don’t plan on updating my old Windows ME. I may buy a new computer in the future, but I’m not going to update this one to XP or Vista.

If a game does not operate on certain types of Windows, then they should not

list that type of Windows on the back of the game box. But they do. And that really annoys me, as a decent company would not do this sort of thing. It makes me think they just want to sell more copies of their games.

I did go to their website and sent them an email about this, but so far they have not bothered answering my questions as to why it asks me to update my operating system.

I will not purchase any games from this company in the future and I strongly suggest everyone to be wary of their software.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 281001947820531/k2311a0110/1.10.10