Nancy Drew The Haunted Carousel
  • I bought this game for Christmas and I must say it is a lot of fun to play
  • I'm sure expert gamers with more experience could solve it much faster, perhaps in just a few hours
  • In my opinion, guessing whom the criminal is was a large part of what makes this game fun
  • I like exploring areas in games and this game is somewhat limited in those regards
  • I was somewhat disappointed with the roller coaster one as its mainly one room and there's not much to explore there

• by bookwyrm

I bought this game for Christmas and I must say it is a lot of fun to play. It comes on a CD-ROM and plays on your computer. Her Interactive makes the game. As you can guess, it is a mystery solving game and this was the first time I have ever played such a game. I must admit I am far from an expert at video games and yet I was able to solve this mystery rather easily (although it took me two days to do it) and I felt a great burst of satisfaction at doing so. I’m sure expert gamers with more experience could solve it much faster, perhaps in just a few hours. Anyway, this game is great for people who are not very experienced at video games as it is easy to reach the end.

There is a lot to do in this game. A large part of the mystery solving involves talking to people. There are four suspects in this one and they all work

at the amusement park. There is a security guard, a bookkeeper, a chief engineer and an artist. One of them is responsible for stealing the carousel horse. I had fun keeping track of what each person said and trying to guess whom the villain was. And I must admit I guessed it correctly not even halfway through, although I didn’t find out for certain until I reached the end. In my opinion, guessing whom the criminal is was a large part of what makes this game fun. It’s mainly what kept me playing it, as I wanted to know whom it was.

I like exploring areas in games and this game is somewhat limited in those regards. The individual areas you can explore are small, too. The graphics are nice and you can easily see what items are and that helps your exploring. Mainly you can explore the Carousel, the Haunted House, the Midway and the Roller coaster loading area plus the four small buildings where the employees work. I was ...

• somewhat disappointed with the roller coaster one as its mainly one room and there’s not much to explore there. The Carousel and the Haunted House are the two larger areas, each with secret doors that open once you get far enough into the game.

There are lots of puzzles for you to solve, too, and I had fun doing that. You need to use a lathe, fix a video game machine, decode a coded message, use a soldering gun, stop a roller coaster from running you over and solve three riddles. All of these were pretty fun to do and these tasks kept me busy. Be warned: A few can be tricky. If you are getting stuck (like when trying to open the combination locks) it means you are doing it wrong.

I also like that whenever I was unsure what to do next, I could use Nancy Drew’s cell phone to get tips. There are many people you can call up, including her friend Bess plus Frank and Joe Hardy.

The only ride you can actually ride is the carousel. And there are three games on the Midway you can play. The entire Midway consists of three games plus a prize machine.

One really terrific feature in this game is the “Second Chance” thing. It allows you to continue from where you left off in case you either get killed or severely injured. And yes, both can happen in this game. I admit I used it a lot! The game automatically saves where you were, too.

And to add extra spiciness to the game, there are a few deadly traps and accidents you need to watch out for. The villain does not like Nancy is snooping around and will try to get her. Watch out!

The downside is that once you know who the villain is, the game is not too exciting anymore and you start looking for something else to play. Consider this when you buy the game. That’s why I rate this game a “9″ and not a full “10″.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 281001947810531/k2311a0110/1.10.10