Starclimber by Kenneth Oppel
  • The ending is a real nail biter and I found myself pondering how they would ever survive the very dire circumstances
  • I like the very original ideas in this novel
  • I have always enjoyed creature tales and the author has thought up lots of new ones
  • These dangerous situations bring out the best in some of the characters as they risk their lives to save the ship and their fellow shipmates
  • This is also one book I intend to buy for myself and I don't do that very often (as I prefer to read them free from the library)

• by bookwyrm

This is a truly fantastic adventure story and one that is well written. It has danger, excitement, bravery and a lot more. The story moves fast, especially once they get on the ship heading for space. The characters seem like real people, each with his or her own personality, and I quickly grew to like them. The plot develops at a good pace, with increasing danger the farther you read. Some novels don’t really build up to an exciting and scary climax, but this one does. The ending is

a real nail biter and I found myself pondering how they would ever survive the very dire circumstances! While this book is intended for a teenage audience, anyone who loves adventure stories or science fiction will enjoy this well-written tale.

I like the very original ideas in this novel. While I have read many science fiction tales about spaceships, never have I encountered a spacecraft that climbs up into the heavens by crawling up a long string and that is exactly what happens in this story. This unusual means ...

• of locomotion also creates a set of new problems for the characters. For example, their spaceship lacks a real engine, as the designers were sure an engine was not required. The ship receives all of its power through the golden cable but if that unbreakable cable was to breakā€¦. And of course that is exactly what happens.

The story is also filled with many wondrous, unique creatures. I have always enjoyed creature tales and the author has thought up lots of new ones. These creatures live in outer space

and they cause problems for the adventurers on the spacecraft. Some are more dangerous than others. These dangerous situations bring out the best in some of the characters as they risk their lives to save the ship and their fellow shipmates.

Starclimber is the third book in a trilogy.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves an exciting adventure-filled tale. This is also one book I intend to buy for myself and I don’t do that very often (as I prefer to read them free from the library).

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171001947800531/k2311a0110/1.10.10