Futuro Stirrup Ankle Brace  » Health  »
  • But the time I got to the doctor and they did xrays she actually couldn't see and break or crack or anything like that, and said it was probably just a sprain and recommend wearing a brace and keeping it iced when not in use
  • She wanted me to take one of theirs, but it would cost $150, and I knew I could find the same kind of brace somewhere else, so I headed to CVS
  • I found the futuro stirrup ankle brace for about $31

• by Anasuya

In september, of 2008, I had just been hirred at a new job working retail, and we had also bought our first home and were in the process of moving. It was my first day at work, but I had a few hours on my hands to help my husband start loading up the u-haul. As I was walking down the front steps of our old house carrying a box, I just stepped wrong and twisted up my ankle and fell flat on my backside. I was crying I was in so much pain, but my husband helped me stand up and I walked it off because I knew I couldn’t miss my first day of work.

I managed to cringe that whole first day and make it through but I knew the next day that I’d need to get to a doctor and have it checked out. It was so swollen, it was awful, but because I could walk on it, there was no doubt it wasn’t broken. I couldn’t get into my doctor for four more days, during

which time I still had to work and be on my feet for several hours a day.

But the time I got to the doctor and they did xrays she actually couldn’t see and break or crack or anything like that, and said it was probably just a sprain and recommend wearing a brace and keeping it iced when not in use. Well, I never really gave it sufficient time to get better because I constantly had to work and be on my feet, and staying home from work just wasn’t an option, especially not when I first started. A month went by and it was still giving me problems so I headed back to the doctor.

More xrays and no cracks or breaks found. The doctor had me stand and walk so she could see and realized that I walk in such a way that I was putting all the pressure on the outsides of my feet, so that my ankles were slightly twisted. She basically said the only way to correct this type of walking habit (perpetuated by ...

• the sprained ankle, but which was making the sprain worse and preventing it from healing) was physical therapy or a hard splint-like brace that I would wear all the time while walking, at least for a couple weeks.

She wanted me to take one of theirs, but it would cost $150, and I knew I could find the same kind of brace somewhere else, so I headed to CVS.

I found the futuro stirrup ankle brace for about $31. It’s a right and left side brace so can be worn on either leg, and it has a stretch piece that goes underneath the heal connecting two long hard plastic pieces that ride up the side of the leg and velcro straps that hold them in place against your leg.

It’s got this sort of foam interior, and it felt very comfortable when I first put it on. My ankle didn’t bother me at all the first day I wore it. However, that plastic made my leg sweat! I tend to wear skirts to work because it’s a more business type

of dress code, and I’ve never been much a fan of pants (at which point I could wear the brace over the pants), so that plastic against my leg was creating a lot of sweat that it would start to slide around on my leg.

I’d have to take it off on breaks just to give my leg a chance to breath a little bit. The hard side pieces go all the way down the leg as well and hit the very bottom of the foot, so it makes wearing nicer shoes almost impossible, because you’re shoes just aren’t made to accomodate an extra inch worth of material. I couldn’t wear flats to work and had to wear sandals, even in the cold weather, because tennis shoes were a big no-no as part of our wardrobe.

So, though the brace worked well to stabilize my ankle and prevent me from walking on the sides of my feet, I couldn’t wear regular shoes with it, and it makes me leg sweat. Still it’s better than spending $150, so I suppose I got a good deal on it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 341001947480531/k2311a0110/1.10.10