Asus EeePC 1101H  » Laptops  »
  • I bought this netbook just a little over a month ago and I’m loving it
  • My previous experience of netbooks comes in the form of the Acer Aspire One AOA150
  • Direct comparisons are of course unavoidable and here are two main reasons why I think the Asus is miles better

• by True Mainer

I bought this netbook just a little over a month ago and I’m loving it! Okay, it doesn’t have the latest specifications but then what do you expect when you pick it up at a bargain price.

My previous experience of netbooks comes in the form of the Acer Aspire One AOA150. Direct comparisons are of course unavoidable and here are two main reasons why I think the Asus is miles better.

1. Screen size – The old Acer had an 8.9” screen at a resolution of 1024 x 600 pixels. In theory it’s a good widescreen aspect ratio (great for movie viewing) but in reality the web is designed for displays with at least 800 vertical pixels. This meant that regardless of which browser I was using I had to constantly scroll up and

down which was a real pain. The Asus has an 11.6″ (1366 x 768 pixels) screen, which is comparable to some 12” ultra-portables on the market at more than twice the price. Just like the old Acer, the screen is crisp, clear, and bright even on the maximum power saving setting (lowest contrast).

2. Battery life – The old Acer was a real killer and you would be lucky to get more than an hour’s use out of it. The Asus, out of the box and without even trying, can give you more than 6 hours of UNINTERRUPTIBLE computing! I’ve heard that if you really tried, you can easily get more than 8 hours use out of it on a single charge! Personally I’ve never felt the urge to though as 6 hours is ...

• more than enough already. This is all timed with constant WiFi in use, playing the occasional movie and / or music clip, browsing the Internet and working on Office documents.

I’ve had no hardware problems whatsoever (it is still relatively new) and I expect this to continue at least for the first year whilst the machine is under warranty. Things may start to go wrong in the second and subsequent years though, which was the primary reason why I upgraded from the old Acer, as it may no longer be economically viable to make repairs for a cheap netbook out of warranty.

This netbook is not perfect though, now for the gripes. It doesn’t seem to run any faster than the old Acer, this could be due to the fact that the clock speed

is actually slower on the Asus than the old Acer (1.33 GHz. vs. 1.66 GHz.) There’s no upgrade in terms of graphics power either. Of course I don’t expect to play games on an underpowered netbook, but the ability to view a full HD movie without stuttering and an HDMI out socket (for direct connection to LCD TVs) would have been nice. It may not be as well built as a 12” ultra-portable. By this we mean perceived quality (look and feel more plasticky) as well as actual quality (failure of components and parts over time). Only time will tell if this is actually true or not. Overall this netbook still comes highly recommended. You get what you pay for and it is still great value for money, especially at the new reduced price.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 63901946890631/k2311a019/1.9.10