MosquitoMan (2004)  » Movies  »
  • The story gripped me from the beginning and soon I found myself totally caught up in this dark science fiction tale
  • Of course, I like watching these scary films so I'm used to these movies
  • On a side note I think everyone was a little bit dense when it came to destroying the creature

• by bookwyrm

This movie was much better than I expected it to be. Don’t let the corny name or the image on the DVD case’s cover stop you from watching this fun horror film. And if you’re thinking it’s a bit similar to “The Fly”, you’re right. It’s a more modern spin on an old story.

I thought the plot was pretty solid. The story gripped me from the beginning and soon I found myself totally caught up in this dark science fiction tale. Basically it’s about a prisoner who enrolls in this unorthodox experiment and is soon transformed into a hideous creature that is part human and part mosquito. He then

goes on a killing spree as well as chasing after a lady scientist. There is also a side plot about stopping a deadly mosquito transmitted disease that has killed thousands. The scientist’s boyfriend is the main cop on the case.

The acting was decent for this type of movie, too. Everyone played his or her roles well and nothing really stood out as bad acting. Of course, I like watching these scary films so I’m used to these movies. All of the law enforcement officers and the other people reacted with surprise when they saw the creature and that is good.

I must say the monster in this film ...

• looked very ugly! But that is to be expected. Anytime you take a bug’s face and make it very big it is sure to look very creepy! It wasn’t really frightening, just very ugly. And seeing a bug’s face on a human-like torso was strange. The monster has wings and can fly, too.

The creature was very hard to kill and while that was good, I found it a bit hard to believe that armor-piercing bullets would bounce off a mosquito-man. I really doubt if mosquitoes have armor on their bodies, as they seem to be all legs. But then, this is science fiction so anything is possible. You

need to keep an open mind while watching this and I did indeed find the movie very entertaining.

On a side note I think everyone was a little bit dense when it came to destroying the creature. Insects can’t handle cold and yet no one taught to use that, even after one of the officers yelled, “Freeze!” at the monster. I guess the situation was just too bizarre for anyone to think clearly.

The movie is a bit gory: there is blood but it’s not really sickening as some horror movies can be. I’d say its about average for this type of creature horror.

The ending was intense, too.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11901946140531/k2311a019/1.9.10