Clover Valley All Purpose Flour
1.0
  • While I like many products in the Clover Valley family, this one is simply horrible
  • I don't like greasy-tasting food and all that oil is bad for one's health, too

• by bookwyrm

While I like many products in the Clover Valley family, this one is simply horrible! There is something seriously wrong with this flour; although I can’t say exactly what it is the cause - perhaps because it is “bleached”? That does seem to be the main difference between this flour and the other brand I’m using. I do know that when I try to cook things with the Clover Valley All Purpose Flour it always turns out terrible!

The other day I tried making some pancakes with this

flour, using the same recipe I always used. For one, the pancake batter (once in the pan) soaked up all of the cooking oil and then they started to stick and burn! And it didn’t seem to matter how much oil one adds: the slowly frying batter just soaks it up like a sponge. That’s crazy! It was a constant fight to stop them from sticking to the pan’s bottom. Nor did the pancakes want to turn golden brown; they stayed pale and uncooked for an incredibly ...

• long time - which is a huge waste of gas and money. Using this flour you’ll spend a half hour or more for a few uncooked pancakes! And when they finally did finish cooking, they were uneatable. There was a ton of oil inside them, so much oil that when I squeezed one with my fingers a steady stream of cooking oil ran out of the pancake onto my plate. Uggh, that is just nasty! They were very greasy and simply gross, so gross that I ended
        up tossing them into the garbage. I don’t like greasy-tasting food and all that oil is bad for one’s health, too.

Buying this flour is a huge waste of money. It simply does not work correctly at all and you’ll end up tossing the food out. I haven’t tried baking with it, but if it can’t handle a simple thing like a pancake I’d hate to see what it would do to a real cake or a cookie. Save your money and buy one of the national brands of flour.

Janice Coles says :

I purchased the SELF RISING 5lb.bag from Dollar General. How is it self rising, if the package tells you to add yeast. It reacts to water like ALL PURPOSE flour. Get it right.Take it off the shelf.

Albrenny says :

Self-raising flour consist of flour, baking powered and a bit of salt. Its referred to as self-raising due to the baking powder. I guess it all depends on the recipe you want to use it for.

Jamie Nolan says :

re : While I like many products in the Clover Valley family, this one is simply horrible
    Do not use this flour. Tried it also in my regular cookie recepie for Christmas cookies. Waste of time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 27901946100531/k2311a019/1.9.10