IDEAL SHADE Fresh and Light Foundation  » Cosmetics  »
2.5
  • It wasn't until I was older that I was able to buy my own pancake makeup in the right ivory shade, but what I thought was the right shade wasn't very right at all
  • Problem for me is that it might have been a good color, but it was awful for my skin
  • I love avon products and have been ordering them for years, and so started to give their foundations a try
  • I regularly use a Revlon foundation that is the perfect color for me, but doesn't help with my oily skin at all, so I'm looking for something that does everything I need all in one convenient bottle
  • I think there's more cons than pros to this foundation so I definitely wont be buying it again

• by Anasuya

One of the harshest memories I have from my childhood is having worn a foundation that was always five shades off for my very pale skin tone. My mother never really taught me how to apply makeup and which makeup is best for my complexion and tone, and so it was a guessing game for much of my youth. I’d sneak her pancake makeup because it was the only thing that covered my youthful acne at the time, and since she was a tanner and had really dark skin, the makeup looked pretty much orange on me, and would leave a nice line around the chin because I didn’t realize you had to blend it into your neck as well. It wasn’t until I was older that I was able to buy my own pancake makeup in the right ivory shade, but what I thought was the right shade wasn’t very right at all.

It was too pale, and left me looking like a ghost. Great for Halloween, but not exactly prime for every day use, you know? And, over the years since then I’ve had a hard time finding a

shade that was right for me. I even spent $100 at a department store cosmetics counter where they blend all sorts of make-up powders specifically to match your skin tone right there in front of you, and you’re thinkin you’ll get your moneys worth because they are doing all this work to make sure it’s the perfect color.

Problem for me is that it might have been a good color, but it was awful for my skin. Since I suffered from blemishes my whole life (worse in my youth than it is now certainly and thankfully), I needed something that would help prevent blemishes if not treat existing blemishes, and I certainly didn’t need anything that would CAUSE blemishes. I have oily skin so this is a bigger problem than I had anticipated.

I love avon products and have been ordering them for years, and so started to give their foundations a try. I regularly use a Revlon foundation that is the perfect color for me, but doesn’t help with my oily skin at all, so I’m looking for something that does everything I need all in one convenient bottle. IDEAL SHADE ...

• Fresh and Light Foundation was one of a dozen foundations I ordered all at once to give it a shot.

I figured I couldn’t go wrong with something that claims to be the ideal shade, right? It was only $10 too, which was a plus, but I was a little disappointed by the size of the tube. It was way smaller than I was anticipating and I was lucky if it would last half as long as my normal foundation. I purchased the nude color which, when it arrived, actually still looked too dark, but I still wanted to try it out.

It has this blush brush type of applicator tip which was creative, but bothersome. You should use disposable sponges to apply makeup so you don’t get bacteria in the unused part of your make-up. obviously, you can’t avoid that with a foundation that comes out of the tube straight into a brush head that you use to apply to your face.

I ended up forgoing the brush head and would just rub the brush over a sponge and apply it that way. It was a waste of a container

for them to have a brush applicator, but whatever, I was still game. It is supposed to be light to medium coverage and water based so as not to add to an oily complexion.

The brush is a pain because you have to clean it after each use as well, but if you brush it onto a sponge instead of working onto your face, it’s not as big of an issue as it could otherwise be. the coverage was pretty sufficient I felt, but the color, as it turned out, was actually NOT the ideal shade for me, as it was too dark and that was the lightest shade they offered. I really needed an ivory alternative but there isn’t one.

Nude just doesn’t do it for me. It was an experiment in foundations and this was the failed part of that experiment. It didn’t make my oily skin worse, but it also didn’t make it better.

Went on light and air and covered well enough, but the color was off and the brush applicator was a pain. I think there’s more cons than pros to this foundation so I definitely wont be buying it again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 31901945610431/k2311a019/1.9.10