Canon Powershot A590 IS Digital Camera  » Cameras  »
  • This is my first digital camera, and even though I love taking pictures, I’m rather new to the hobby, so I’m certain that the experienced photo buffs might very well sniff at my little attempt at a review

• by Chris

This is my first digital camera, and even though I love taking pictures, I’m rather new to the hobby, so I’m certain that the experienced photo buffs might very well sniff at my little attempt at a review. But I have used several other cameras before and I can say that this one is among the easiest to use and takes good shots to boot.

This isn’t anything like the more stylish IXUS or the older ELPH cameras from Canon, or even quite a few of the smaller cameras from other manufacturers – those are thin and small and light and fit in one’s bag or pocket or hand really easily. The A590 is unashamedly a big solid block,

a large hunk of metal and plastic. Its heft might turn some people off, but it’s got its upsides. Taking pictures with it is rather easier for a big guy like me who’s got big hands compared to some of the more minuscule cameras I’ve tried using. Heft can mean stability and it does redound to that in this case.

The A590 is a little light on the features. It’s just 8.0 megapixels and its lack of firepower can show in certain situations where friends’ DSLRs and SLRs produce terrific pictures. Or maybe I’m just not all that good at taking pictures yet? But it does come with Canon’s Image Stabilization or IS feature and that’s a big ...

• help for those who want to take pictures on the go. It also takes SD cards, which is another big plus – SD cards are cheap and easy to get these days (the one I’m using in my A590 is 4GB, which is quite adequate). Friends who are photo buffs say that it uses the trademark Canon interface, which is really simple and easy to get the hang of, even for those who’re more experienced and don’t just stick to the ‘auto’ function when taking pictures. You won’t find too many whiz-bang features like some of today’s more gimmicky cameras that have touch screens and all that, but if all you want to do is take good decent
        shots, then this camera might fit the bill.

Shops around here are stocking what appears to be Canon’s replacement for the Powershot A series, which is quite a bit slimmer and lighter – although not as slim and light as, say, one of the new Sony or Panasonic cameras for instance. Still, though, if you can find an A590 IS for sale and you’re in the market for a good semi-basic camera that won’t break the bank, then pick one up. You won’t be sorry! I love mine and intend to use it until falls apart – or until I end up graduating to a DSLR. (But even then I’ll still be using this one from time to time, haha.)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 43801944670231/k2311a018/1.8.10