Omega Speedmaster Date Mid-Size (leather strap)  » Watches  »
  • My Speedmaster is a clean and simple watch I’m very proud to own

• by Chris

Some years after my dad surprised me with my Seamaster, a very doting uncle gifted me with another Omega. This time it was a Speedmaster – to be more specific, a midsize Speedmaster Date on a leather strap.

Unlike the Seamaster line, the Speedmasters aren’t built to go deep underwater; they’re not divers’ watches. That said though they are really excellent watches in their own way. Omega’s made quite a big fuss about the fact that a particular Speedmaster model was tested on the sly by NASA some years back, along with

quite a number of other expensive watches, and it was the only one to meet their reliability and serviceability standards – and it became the official watch for NASA’s Apollo Program, becoming known forever after as the Moonwatch.

My Speedmaster isn’t that particular model though; it’s one of the simpler ones, and it’s on a leather strap. That makes it much less of an everyday watch than a Seamaster; even if you look out for it, it’s not built to take everyday knocks as well as a Seamaster would. Even treated leather ...

• straps should be kept away from water as much as possible, as I’ve discovered to my dismay a couple of times. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t durable; some scratches and nicks aside, this watch is aging very gracefully.

My watch has a white-silver face and a black dial, along with white and black plastic hands inlaid with glow-in-the-dark markers and red plastic hands for the chronometer; Roman-numeral hour markers; and a date window on the right side. Maybe a bit more sedate and less “showy” than the Seamaster, but quite a

nice-looking watch in its own right.

It’s an automatic so it requires constant usage (or placement on a watch-winder) to remain accurate. But even after a couple of weeks in storage, a few minutes on your wrist is all it needs to start working again. And once it does, it becomes a more than competent timepiece that looks very good on the wrist.

My Speedmaster is a clean and simple watch I’m very proud to own. I’m certain it will be just as distinctive and attractive years down the road as it is now.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 64801944180131/k2311a018/1.8.10