Omega Seamaster 300m Diver Chronometer  » Watches  »
  • It hasn’t been taken deep underwater all that much – am not much of a diver – but it has gone swimming with me and I’ve been plenty happy with how it’s performed underwater

• by Chris

I was given one of these marvelous watches as a graduation gift from my father when I finished high school and I have worn it almost on a daily basis ever since. Not just because it was a gift from my old man – of course that’s important too, right? – but also because this is my favorite watch hands-down, and it would be the case even if mine hadn’t been a gift from my dad. I’ve had other nice watches too but this one just takes the cake in more ways than one.

For starters it’s a looker – I guess that and the Omega name are the reason why this has been such a reliable watch for the

company over the years. (Well, that and the fact that this is their James Bond model, but I digress.) Beautiful blue face with little engraved blue waves and Omega’s lovely shiny hour, minute and second hands. Mine is the version with a shiny dial, which makes it stand out a little more. Over the years it’s accumulated a couple of scratches and dents, particularly on the bracelet, but I don’t mind; they just make it look a bit more distinguished. A little bit like luggage that’s battered and worn – maybe a little less shiny than the new stuff, but you can tell it’s been around.

My Seamaster is the slightly smaller mid-size version, which makes it somewhat less heavy ...

• than the full-size version – some people have found that model too heavy for their wrists. I’m a bit of a big guy, so either way it’s fine by me.

Like I said this watch has been something of a daily driver, so it’s seen quite a bit of action. It hasn’t been taken deep underwater all that much – am not much of a diver – but it has gone swimming with me and I’ve been plenty happy with how it’s performed underwater. Time and date are really readable and it’s very easy to see even in deeper water and inconstant light. And above the waves it’s proven pretty good as well. Mine is an automatic watch, so

all you need do is keep it on your wrist or on a watch-winder to keep the time and date constant. When I’ve been wearing it mine hasn’t lost very much time if any at all. It’s been dead accurate so far, so I would say that it’s been a reliable timepiece.

So all in all this is one fantastic watch – something to love and cherish for years - and I am really very thankful my dad introduced me to the world of Omega all those years ago. If and when I have kids (and if I can afford it of course!) I’ll buy them all watches like this when they “come of age” and can appreciate and care for them.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 64801944110131/k2311a018/1.8.10