Neil Diamond: The Christmas Album CD  » Music  »
  • While I thought The Little Drummer Boy, Silent Night, and O Holy Night were especially wonderfully done, his Santa Claus is Coming to Town gave me a headache, seriously and White Christmas is a little too jazzy
  • Diamond's touch is definitely on this album and while I like it, some folks may think his spin is too off the mark, so if you decide to try it, just keep in mind that the tunes are still the ones we love, but turned upside down a little bit

• by Orrymain

I remember this seemed odd for a while, that Neil Diamond would do a holiday album since he’s Jewish. There was talk that since Barbra Streisand was doing another one, it somehow was okay for him to do one. I don’t recall the specifics much now, but I remember it was talked about at the time. At any rate, I don’t care what anyone’s

religion is; I only care about the music. In my opinion, Neil Diamond: The Christmas Album CD is a nice addition to the festivities of the season.

Now that said, Diamond can be a little overly dramatic in putting his own spin on the classics. While I thought The Little Drummer Boy, Silent Night, and O Holy Night were especially wonderfully done, his Santa Claus is ...

• Coming to Town gave me a headache, seriously and White Christmas is a little too jazzy. It’s all interpretation, and there’s nothing wrong with zappy the carols, as long as they are still singable and give us those happy feelings of comfort and joy.

Diamond’s touch is definitely on this album and while I like it, some folks may think his spin is too off the mark,

so if you decide to try it, just keep in mind that the tunes are still the ones we love, but turned upside down a little bit.

I also wanted to note that Diamond wrote a lovely Christmas carol himself for this album called You Make It Feel Like Christmas. I really love this song. It’s a love song in part, and the sentiment runs deep. It’s wonderful.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 14701943420231/k2311a017/1.7.10