A Gift for Heidi  » Movies  »
2.0
  • The problem was that the tears were out of place
  • I don't think any of the acting was that hot, and Dortort's story was mired by bad directing
  • I don't think it flowed, and certainly the direction of the 'hope' segment lacked

• by Orrymain

When I was a kid, I loved the Heidi movies and TV shows. It’s quite possible I saw A Gift for Heidi then, but if I did, I don’t remember. When it aired last night, I was in the mood so gave it a watch. I was surprised to see that A Gift for Heidi was written by David Dortort, who not long thereafter would bring Bonanza to the small screen.

In this tale, Heidi is given three carved wooden figures

from one of the villagers where she lives. She is truly fascinated with them and believes they each have something to tell her. That’s what the rest of the story is about, trying to learn the messages.

Essentially, these wooden figures are represented of the three wise men and each gets about twenty to twenty-five minutes for their story to be told. The first story revolves around Peter and his singing. This is Heidi’s lesson of faith. The second ...

• concerns a visit from her friend, Clara, and deals with charity. The final lesson is hope, and focuses on a newlywed couple.

Overall, this was a sad production. It wasn’t well done. Sandy Descher as Heidi was okay. She could do perky, and she knew how to cry. The problem was that the tears were out of place. It just didn’t work. Perhaps it was because they were so rushed for time. I don’t think any

of the acting was that hot, and Dortort’s story was mired by bad directing. I don’t think it flowed, and certainly the direction of the ‘hope’ segment lacked. Even the responses to a massive avalanche was underplayed by Descher, who then overplays being stuck on the mountaintop for a couple of hours. It was off, way off.

Still, as a moralistic tale of faith, hope, and charity, it was okay. Kids might not notice the lapses on the production side.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11701943330231/k2311a017/1.7.10