Optein Eye Supplement  » Health  »
  • I’ve been having problem with my eyesight so anything that could improve it would really attract me
  • I bought just 14 for a start to test what benefits would it give me in 14 days
  • After taking it for 14 days I noticed it did not really help my eye grade
  • My eye issue is poor eyesight and hence if Optein did not show any sign that it could bring brighter eyesight for me then I don’t think I have to spend more money buying this product
  • I think the advertisement has deceived me but I don’t regret

• by ladyli

Have you seen the TV commercial of Optein Eye Supplement? It is the beautiful actress Iza Calzado in that TV commercial and I was sort of quite convinced by her. Well I admit I was one of those attracted to this commercial even the first time I viewed it. I’ve been having problem with my eyesight so anything that could improve it would really attract me. My eye grades have been going up. I am sure it is because of too much exposure to computer. Well I can never afford to take computer away from my life so I had to just do something to protect and strengthen my vision but not necessary to take out the computer from me because my job involves lots of computer works. My failing eyesight has been very obvious. From eye grade

of 50 it became 75 then 100 then 125 then 150 and now 175. It frustrates me that my precious eyes could not longer read without the aid of reading glasses and worse my usual normal far eyesight has been failing too. I could no longer see clearly even from afar. I used to have only trouble with reading but now even with far objects, my eyes could no longer see as clear as before.

After seeing the commercial I immediately went to the nearest drugstore to avail of Optein. But I was surprised to know the product is quite costly. It is being sold at PHP28 each and it made me think twice. Would I buy this product or not, I asked myself. Well I still did. I bought just 14 for a start to test what benefits would ...

• it give me in 14 days. Despite the fact that it seems to be very expensive with only 1 mg lutein in it, I bought it just the same. There is no harm in trying anyway. The product is natural and has no known side effects so where I benefit significantly or not I really had nothing to lose but there is something to gain.

After taking it for 14 days I noticed it did not really help my eye grade. So I bought another batch of Optein good for another 14 days. But to my despair, after consuming the next batch too, the product did not really show any cure to my failing eyesight at all. Well it was only 28 days of taking and maybe makers of the product would say I need to take more. Nevertheless, 28

days are enough for me to test the effectiveness of the product. My eye issue is poor eyesight and hence if Optein did not show any sign that it could bring brighter eyesight for me then I don’t think I have to spend more money buying this product. I think it is true that there is not much any direct health benefit of Optein to the eyes as it works just as a retina protective supplement which is useful for those who are in senior years. I think the advertisement has deceived me but I don’t regret. At least I tried and even if I failed I still learned a good lesson. I would rather just eat vegetables and fruits which are rich in Vitamin A which will make me even healthier than taking the expensive Optein that did not help me at all.

Aimmee says :

Does anyone knows how much is the optein in Mercury Drug in the Philippines?

al says :

The price of optein capsule in mercury drug is P28 per capsule. But if you want to be cheaper, try buying optein capsule at the generic pharmacy. Their price is cheaper than mercury drug.

Afra Jean says :

Php30

rene says :

30.00 in mercury stores.

Aldren says :

Hi, Thank you for sharing what you had experienced from taking optein. I knew from the start that it`s just the same as other herbal products that are being commercialized on TV. I mean, they all do not guarantee any therapeutic effects. I also have problems with my vision. My eye grade today is 275 for both my eyes. I really can`t see the details of a person`s face from a distance of just a meter. But thanks to you. I didn`t have to take the risk of spending my money on the wrong supplement. You were right when you said that it`s better to just eat fruits and vegetables ) Well, God bless you for being honest )

Hi Aldren,

It is nice to see you taking prudent decision and staying away from Optein.

This product is marketed only through TV advertisements. I wonder why the company is not reaching out to ophthalmologists around Philippines and show them the efficacy of the product. Oh, they can’t. There is nothing special with this supplement.

If it has worked with someone, that was only because of placebo effects.

You are most welcome.

Davis Raymond Solares says :

You guys are so dumb 1 tablet of Optein is like eating a fruit daily. To make it as a cure you must take 10 to 50 times a day. 6mg of lutein is just a supplement. It needs to be 60mg to 250mg to become a cure.

Galega says :

Taking 10 to 50 tablets of Optein is never recommended. That will be overdosing which may lead to health problems in the long run. Stick with the recommended dose as suggested by the manufacturer or the doctor.

quick note by anonymous :

Thanks for this now I know I should not buy optein.

quick note by anonymous :

usually if you are below 21 years old your eyesight can either still be corrected (with glasser or contacts) or worsen. that’s why eye laser surgeries are offered only for 21 and above coz it can still change. hope that helps..

sam says :

I am interested with the supplement to help me protect my eyesight and regain good vision without using eyeglasses. Good to know about the potency of the product…but based on my researc and from reading natural healing book, you need to consume 80 to 120mg of lutein and 2mg of zeaxanthin for 3months if you want to get good result. This info i am sharing is based from a professional nutritionist and medical doctor.
    I wish you wont lose hope with your goal:regainVision.
    Goodluck and God Bless everyone…

Carlo says :

Thanks for your review :-) I ve been taking this vitamin supplement for the EYES. Actually, OPTEIN DOESN T CURE the EYES. It s like a supplement for your eyes which means to provide nutrients such as vitamins or minerals it contains Lutein, Vit C, Vit E, and ZINC. LUTEIN (Lutein can be found also in high quantities in green leafy vegetables such as spinach kale) that contributes in producing basic tears that can LESSEN THE RISK OF DRY EYES and PHOTOPHOBIA (Photophobia is a condition that s overly sensitive to light, possibly causing pain, tearing and discomfort). Overall, Optein is good for maintenance because it acquires vision benefits.

ladyli says :

It is only good perhaps for maintenance but not for curing any eye problem,

Joanna says :

I agree, I am a user of this product, but it really isn’t meant to “cure” anything specifically. I have been taking the supplement for awhile and I have noticed an improvement in my health. Specifically, since starting the product I have noticed that the frequency of my ocular migraines has lessened significantly.

You are right Joanna

angee says :

Even me,Im taking that optein but nothings happen,sad to say that,still hoping to be back to my normal eyesight

Galega says :

First thing you should know is the fact that Optein Eye Supplement is unlikely to help you. It can’t improve your eyesight. After certain age (usually, 18 to 20 years), the eyesight can’t get improved. You have to use glasses or go for LASIK surgery. Unfortunately, market is flooded with over the counter products which claims to improve eyesight. Further, eyes are something very special. I will never advise someone to use any drop, even refreshing one, without consulting a doctor.

Rose says :

Omg, I just bought 10caps yesterday trying to test my eyesight these 10days ahead.Only now i read reviews about optein.I am nearsighted but my problem is i caught allergies causing my eyes to tear and itch.I have a eye solution for allergies prescribed by my opthalmologist.I wish optein is helpful to those who are willing to spend. While reading these not so good reviews discouraging me or even those who havent tried yet.

quick note by anonymous :

try usana visionex it has helped my freinds vision from 450 to 300 in a months time…it has 5mg lutien plus take usana essential together with visionex since it has 3mg of luthien already ,thereby giving u 8mg lutien per day..it would help.

ladyli says :

What is is this usana? It is also a food supplement, or medicine?

Galega says :

Like Optein, Usana Visionex is also an eye supplement which has not gone through any scientific clinical trials. There is very little credible information available in the public domain about its interactions with other medicines, contraindications and side effects, among others. I would advise against taking any unapproved medicine for eyes.

John Russel Guevarrra says :

WOW Where could i buy that medicine.. Im deadly desperate to improve my eye vision.. i want to have a very good and normal eye vision like before. My eye grade on the left eye is 750 and the right eye is 650… i don’t want to use eye glasses anymore.. By the way, does “Usana Visionex has side effects? And How much is that medicine? Please Reply

Galega says :

This medicine is available on medical stores. You can get it at Mercury Drug Stores.

However, I would like to suggest you to use it in your eyes only after consulting a doctor.

When it comes to eye, caution is necessary.

Karynthia says :

You can’t buy USANA products in drugstores. Unless you directly buy from an independent associate distributor from USANA or be a member yourself. : )

Doc Gina says :

Your eye problem as you said is most likely due to your excessive nearwork and computer use. Optein is a supplement that maintains the health of your eyes because of Lutein which has a direct effect on the retina (the back screen of the eye that receives and interprets images that you see). If its excessive nearwork and computer mostly likely the parts that are influencing it are the eye lens and the eye muscles. If you want to minimize effect of near work and computer on your eye lens and muscle you probably would just need to relax your eyes by looking at far objects like looking outside the window if possible every 30 min or just be conscious about it and do it as often as you can,the same manner as you experience shoulder ache and backache, in case of the eye it is manifested by blurring of vision and dryness. You may also want to consider using computer lenses just so that your eyes are not strained too much when you are doing computer work. In fairness to Optein it helps you prevent retinal problems and other degenerative problems that may set in later in life.

ladyli says :

Thank you for your helpful advice.

clarita torrequemada says :

can we buy usana visionex without doctors prescription ?

Rebecca Lee says :

Yes. It is considered an “over the counter medicine” meaning that it does not require a doctor’s prescription.

Galega says :

When it comes to eyes, you should apply some caution for obvious reasons. You won’t get second chance if the over the counter product backfired.

I won’t suggest you to use visionex or Optein Eye supplement without consulting an eye specialist.

allan says :

Usana visonex is also a food supplement. You dont need to have a doctor’s prescription to buy it. I dont think if usana visionex is available to drugstores. They are available to usana distributors and members, health shops, and through online like lazada and amazon, etc.

Ice Perez says :

I am currently taking vitaclear prescribed by an opthalmologist because my vitrous eye floaters are increasing. For it to take effect I need to take at least 200 capsules. Once a day.

ladyli replies :

That’s a lot So that means a lot of money as well. I hope it helps you condition.

ron says :

Well thats necessary. Dont count the money you are going to spend if it is for your better.

sweta says :

why doctors against prescribing optein for their patient?

stewie says :

simple, because there is still no drug research (by that, I mean this drug was not used in a large group to test its efficacy and potential harmful effects) there for they cannot guaranty the safety and what ever the side effects that might occur if patients take this product.

junmae says :

Because doctor’s always prescribe medicine and not just supplements. Specialist doctors will not require patient to have Optein because it will alter the effect of the treatment of the patient’s eyes.

ladyli replies :

I know an eye doctor who prescribed Optein to my nephew. Maybe it depends upon the eye problem of the patient. There are cases Optein will not help so they do not prescribe at all but this does not mean they are against it.

al says :

Because optein is not a medicine. It is a herbal drug use in alternative medicine. Optein is a food supplement that will only support eye health. It do not have any therapeutic claim. It may prevent eye problem but it will not cure eye diseases.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 34701943180231/k2311a017/1.7.10