Fiordland Cruise - New Zealand ‘Fiordland Expeditions’  » Cruises/Ferries  »
Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise, South Island, New Zealand
  • A friend of mine from Australia was planning a trip to NZ and was keen to do this cruise, so I decided to take the opportunity to experience Fiordland
  • Disappointed I gave up on that, and then saw an advert on TV a few weeks later for Fiordland Expeditions
  • The cost was $500NZD (so at a guess around 350 us) for an overnight cruise
  • A stunning place in NZ and anyone travelling to my country should definitely visit the South Island, and Fiordland

• by gadgetgirl

Although Im born and bred in New Zealand, I had never been to Fiordland in the south of the south island. Known for the Milford Sound and Milford Track walk (one of the worlds great walks), Fiordland is one of the most beautiful spots in the world, but takes a bit of getting to.

A friend of mine from Australia was planning a trip to NZ and was keen to do this cruise, so I decided to take the opportunity to experience Fiordland.

When I went to book on one of the several operators Id seen advertised, I discovered they were not running in winter when my friend was here for his holiday. Disappointed I gave up on that, and then saw an advert on TV a few weeks later for Fiordland Expeditions.

The cost was $500NZD (so at a guess around 350 us) for an overnight cruise. This included:

the cruise, food, bed and linen,

and if we wanted, kayaking, fishing etc.

Our hosts Richard and Mandy were wonderful. From the moment we got on board till the next day when we got off, they looked after us, food seemed to be coming at us constantly - either home cooked (starters, main desert, and freshly baked scones and so on in between. Mandy was constantly looking out to see if we wanted anything and whipping up coffee etc, but in a very non-intrusive way. Richard was a wealth of information on the area and happy to tell us everything about the boat, the area, and of course, the fishing.

Both Mandy and Richard were very laid back, and I felt very much at home on the boat. Almost from the minute we boarded I felt comfortable, as though it was a mates boat (except the mate wouldn’t cook for me!).

Dinner was caught fresh! Even though ...

• the weather was horrendous (raining heavily) they hopped into a dingy and went off around the corner to catch lobster, Richard got his scuba gear on and dived down for it. Then they brought it back and served it up, along with all sorts of yummy goods and other fresh fish (sorry not sure what type). One thing you will NOT ever do on this cruise is starve!

The bedding was comfortable - bunk style though we ended up in double but very spacious. Mandy makes up the beds for you and a pot belly is burning all night so its lovely and warm. There are even double size beds for couples.

In the morning the weather was a bit better, we had another yuummy breakfast, saw some dolphins, seals etc. My friend had a fish and caught a baby shark (which I managed to convince him & richard should be thrown back

(not sure either really brought into that but they did it).

On the way to and from the jetty where the boat is we have to cross another lake (ferry incl in cost), and on the return journey were taken through the Manupori power station which is underground by lake manupori.

A fabulous trip and worth every cent & more. I’d love to go back for a longer visit. A stunning place in NZ and anyone travelling to my country should definitely visit the South Island, and Fiordland…unforgettable. I enjoyed every moment. And a big part of that was our hosts on the boat, who made us feel so welcome.

Id give it 15 out of ten if I could…. and I have some gorgeous photos of the trip

Fiordland has a very high rainfall so one downside of cruising there is that you are likely to get some rain. We had a fabulous time anyway.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4701942680131/k2311a017/1.7.10