The Co operative Tomato and Garlic Pasta Sauce
  • When I stirred this into pasta as suggested I was disappointed because the sauce is rather thin and so it just rolls off the pasts, coating it only thinly
  • I think with tomato pasta sauce generally I prefer a thicker sauce which is either nice and creamy or very spicy with an intense flavour
  • I was looking forward to a lasagna so I bought the accompanying garlic bread, sauce and cheddar cheese and even got myself a nice pudding too but I had forgotten the lasagna sheets like a genius
  • After scratching my head and pondering the problem, I did the following instead

• by jeanne71

This is a sauce that you are supposed to heat up gently and stir into freshly cooked pasta. Personally I find it too bland to use it that way, but I use it successfully in more inventive ways. The sauce is made up of 61% tomatoes and seasoned with garlic, onion, basil and chives.

it only thinly. The actual taste is too bland for me.

I think with tomato pasta sauce generally I prefer a thicker sauce which is either nice and creamy or very spicy with an intense flavour. I can make my own tomato sauce with tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic, paprika and chilli powder which is more of the taste I want.

With this Co-op sauce, I can taste the garlic but it is not rich enough for me.

However I have used this sauce to make a lasagna many times.

I am a vegetarian so I make lasagne with red lentils (which works well) or aubergines (eggplant) instead of minced meat. With the addition of the tasty cheese sauce I pour over the top layer of the lasagna, this sauce works well and the whole meal is very tasty.

Yesterday I discovered a new way of using it too. I was looking forward to a lasagna so I bought the ...

• The Co operative Tomato and Garlic Pasta Sauce
      accompanying garlic bread, sauce and cheddar cheese and even got myself a nice pudding too but I had forgotten the lasagna sheets like a genius.

After scratching my head and pondering the problem, I did the following instead. I had some penne pasta in the cupboard so I cooked that until it was al dente - just underdone - for about 8 minutes.

I then spooned this Co-operative sauce all over the bottom of the baking dish and added the

pasta and then fully covered the pasta with the rest of the sauce. I had lentils in the sauce but they add no taste so I imagine this would work with mince or even with the sauce on its own.

I then poured cheese sauce over the top as I would wish a lasagne and baked it for about 15-20 minutes. This meal was also really tasty.

So, a useful sauce but too bland for me to use on its own though.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 27401939980931/k2311a014/1.4.10