Houston Lantern Village Apartments  » Real estate  »
5815 Gulfton St., Houston, TX 77081
  • I live on the half of the complex that houses the leasing and business offices, so my experience may be different from those on the other half
  • The complex offers a decent cable rate, and when you purchase that, you get a steep discount through Phonoscope (also the cable provider) on high-speed internet [my total cost for basic cable (paid directly to Lantern Village) and internet (paid to Phonoscope) is $55, which is a steal compared to other companies
  • So, while the apartments aren't as nice as some more expensive ones, I definitely consider Lantern Village a great value for those of us who can't afford or don't want to pay more, and would recommend living here to anyone looking for that value

• by emcee617

I’ve lived in Lantern Village for 3 years, and am about to sign another year-long lease. I live on the half of the complex that houses the leasing and business offices, so my experience may be different from those on the other half.

The units are older, with outdated appliances. However, when my ancient washer unit started dying, maintenance replaced both the washer and dryer (they are stackable units) with brand new machines. (It took a number of repair attempts over several weeks, but I was surprised and pleased that I didn’t get refurbished, old units.) I’ve also received speedy (same or next-day) responses to the few

(less than 5) other maintenance requests I’ve had over the 3 years.

The kitchen is incredibly small, with nearly no counter space, which is my primary complaint about the apartment. However, the rest of the apartment, particularly the bedroom and closets, are incredibly spacious.

The complex itself is guarded 24/7, with access off of the “main” street closed between midnight and 6a. The guards gather driver’s license and license plate data off of every non-resident entering, which makes me feel safer than when I lived at a gated complex.

Rules are enforced, but as long as you are a rule-abider, you won’t run into any trouble. Even when ...

• you break the rules, they allow clearly outline how to comply, how much time you have, and what the consequences of not complying are.

Parking next to your building can be a hassle late at night, but I have always been able to find a space no more than one building away.

They spray for bugs nearly every month, though you have the opportunity to opt-out each time. I do this because I have pets and no easy way to get them out of the apartment for a day. Even though my unit is never directly sprayed, I only start seeing bugs when I haven’t been

cleaing properly.

The rent has only gone up minimally each year, and it includes all utilities. The complex offers a decent cable rate, and when you purchase that, you get a steep discount through Phonoscope (also the cable provider) on high-speed internet [my total cost for basic cable (paid directly to Lantern Village) and internet (paid to Phonoscope) is $55, which is a steal compared to other companies.

So, while the apartments aren’t as nice as some more expensive ones, I definitely consider Lantern Village a great value for those of us who can’t afford or don’t want to pay more, and would recommend living here to anyone looking for that value.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 62401939470131/k2311a014/1.4.10