Whirlpool customer service and return policies  » Business  »
0.5
  • This review is for a 30 gallon electric water heater, model E2F30HD035V, made by Whirlpool, and my review of their customer service and return policies

• by Reviewabit

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

This review is for a 30 gallon electric water heater, model E2F30HD035V, made by Whirlpool, and my review of their customer service and return policies.

This model was purchased for our home by our landlord originally about 4 months ago, when the home’s 15 year old water heater finally called it quits. Within a couple of months, the Whirlpool had stopped working and there was water leaking from the front of the tank.

We contacted Lowe’s where the appliance was purchased, and they referred us to the Whirlpool call center to manage the warranty and repair details. After waiting a week with no hot water for a local “authorized repair representative” to show up, we were told the unit

was not repairable, and an exchange for an identical one was authorized.

This replacement unit lasted only a month. Even though it was working initially, there was barely enough warm water for one person to shower.

Eventually it stopped working completely just like the first one. Another week of waiting, and this time we are told the heating element was burnt out, and a replacement part would be ordered.

When asked why the element would have gone out so soon, we were assured that “the replacement parts were much better than the originals and last much longer. ” The repairman had a lot to say about products that were “cheaply mass produced under parent companies” and then slapped with name brand labels.

...

• Whether any of this was accurate or not, I cannot say! Needless to say, this conversation left us troubled and scratching our heads a bit. We were told the part would be treated as an “emergency” order, and would be here the next day.

It was not, and we are now told it will be the 5th of January before it arrives. We have also been told that if the unit is deemed “fixable” we cannot exchange it for another (hopefully better) model.

We have specifically asked that it simply be refunded but apparently that is just not how it works. Whirlpool does not seem to be willing to allow us to return or exchange this unit for one that gives

reliable service, and I am quite unhappy with their customer service.

I live here with my 77 year old mother, and we have gone a total of 19 days without hot water since this all began. Now we will wait another 5 days more, and perhaps the “fix” will hold this time, or maybe we will be forced into sending this unit back for a third one of the same model.

We feel as if we have forced into keeping a product that we are not satisfied with and that very obviously has some inherent defect, and it makes me extremely skeptical of buying anything made by Whirlpool again.

Kavita Chauhan says :

What is the Whirlpool`s policy on replacement of a spare part under Warranty period. I wanted to know whether the warranty period is extended in such cases. If yes how long and what is the minimum warranty period for spare parts like PCB.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 41401939460131/k2311a014/1.4.10