The Babyliss You Curl  » Electronics  »
1.0
  • Unfortunately, it doesn’t quite work that way in real life

• by sampriestley

I wanted a hair curler for my teenage daughter whose hair is straight and quite thin. I looked at a few curling wands, but the Babyliss You Curl looked like a better option as it is a combination of straightening irons and rounded cooling plates which you simply turn around in your hair to create a curl… or so the adverts say. The Babyliss You Curl does look very impressive. It’s certainly sturdier than a curling wand and seems to be more versatile, as you could use it as a curler or a straightener. I also thought this would be a

better option for my daughter as the outer cooling plates make it look safer and less likely to burn my daughter when she uses it.

Me and my daughter read the instructions for the curler and watched a tutorial online. The tutorial makes the process look very simple and shows a lady simply turning the curlers in her hair and then revealing perfect curls. Unfortunately, it doesn’t quite work that way in real life. We switched on the curler and then separated my daughter’s hair into sections as advised. We held the curlers in her hair as directed and turned them in ...

• the way shown, then slowly moved the curlers through her hair as indicated in the instructions and tutorial. Sadly, instead of being left with perfect curls we were left with no visible change to the hair at all. The most worrying thing though, is that we found the rounded cooling plates on the outside of the curler get very hot after only a few moments of the curler being switched on, so, all my initial worries about my daughter burning herself on a curling wand are still in place with this curler. We tried the process a few more times over the
        course of a week, checking the instructions and tutorial to try and see where we were going wrong, but we found the same results every time. We tried using various products in her hair in the hope that this would help, but still we have seen no change.

It wasn’t until my daughter checked other reviews of this curler online that she began to get the impression it wasn’t us who were doing something wrong, but the curler that just isn’t very good. Apparently we are not the only ones who have found that the Babyliss You Curl doesn’t curl hair very well.

sampriestley replies :

Hi, I don`t know if yours is faulty, but I suspect it isn`t. As I say in my review, we found this to be a problem with this product. The instructions were confusing because the `cooling` feature did not stay cool, but became quite hot after a few minutes of use.

Galega says :

That is intended to be used in a little bit different manner. You need to use the temperature controller to control the cooling effect for longer, as per your convenience. For curling to last long, you need to use this feature.

Kate Jenko says :

Hi, just bought this you curl I am confused - it says it has a cooling plate to cool the hair but the curved edge is hot ? is mine faulty ?

Galega says :

There is a temperature regulator switch which you should use to cool the hair once you are done with curling process. You can use the switch to control the temperature of the curved edge.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 16301938620731/k2311a013/1.3.10