Newton Public Library in Surrey, Canada  » Education  »
13795 - 70th Avenue, Surrey, British Columbia, V3W 0E1, Phone: 604-598-7400
  • And so it was, when I paid it a visit for the first
  • I decided to use the quiet room where one had to be absolutely quiet
  • I noticed there was some sort of parental control, too, you definitely could not surf unsafe or sleazy sites
  • I found a lot of good books, many of them new titles
  • I would recommend this library to everybody

• by RichieMogwai

It was my first time to visit this library on December 30, 2009. You might ask, why go to this library when I can visit the Whalley Public Library, which is right up my alley?

Well, here’s the scoop, guys. The Whalley Public Library only gives library patrons one hour maximum to use the Internet. At the Newton Public Library, like I’ve heard, I could now get unlimited Wi-Fi access with my own laptop or notebook. And so it was, when I paid it a visit for the first.

And by the looks of it, I might be here many times more. What I don’t like is that I have to commute to use this library, the bus fare being $2.50 on the way, and another $2.50 on the way back. Still, it makes sense to use this library rather than go to Starbucks, where I could only use the free Wi-Fi for a limited two hours.

Blenz Coffee free Wi-Fi is unlimited, provided of course, I ordered coffee and other stuff, but

then I find that it’s too much to abuse this shop’s kindness by staying there the whole time.

The Newton Library, I soon discovered was an architectural marvel, designed by the renowned Patkau Architects in 1991. It’s a wood, glass, concrete and steel structure which gives the impression that there is a lot of room to breathe. I have to say that this is one classic, nice library to be in, all 14,700 sq. ft. of it.

When I came in, there was a lot of people, especially children and students. I decided to use the quiet room where one had to be absolutely quiet. By the way, there was one hyperactive security guard who never stopped walking by, checking everything.

Anyway, that made me feel safer. The room was really quiet and there was a power source in the room to connect my power-hungry laptop cord to. I even found time to watch some of my favorite TV shows on the library free, unlimited Wi-Fi connection.

The meal I ate helped a lot.

• I didn’t go hungry at all as I did all that study and research that day. I definitely got everything accomplished. Accessing the free Wi-Fi here was easy, I simply had to ask the librarian for the username and password.

Unlike the Vancouver Public Library where I only had to enter my library card number and password, the Newton library had a different means of access altogether. It was fast and easy to use, though. I noticed there was some sort of parental control, too, you definitely could not surf unsafe or sleazy sites. This was okay with me, after all, this was a public service that had to be monitored.

What I look forward to, though, is the day when unlimited Wi-Fi access would be available in the neighborhood library. When that time comes, I don’t need to eke out $5 to commute to and from the library.

I hear that the free unlimited access at Newton Public Library was a pilot one. If it works well, other libraries

in the city of Surrey are likely to follow suit, which to me is certainly one welcome development since I don’t pay for my own high-speed Internet access at this time.

The Newton library certainly lives up to my expectation and it has the same open hours as the other libraries in the British Columbia public library system. The clerks are courteous, and the men’s toilet is clean and spacious enough.

The library collection is also equally impressive. I found a lot of good books, many of them new titles. I even found two movie DVDs I could check out, which sure saves me a trip to Blockbuster, and no rental fees, too!

I would recommend this library to everybody. It’s a great, quiet place to recharge, intellect-wise by reading up on issues and academic matters. I also kind of like the fact that the Newton architectural structure uses a lot of wood, knowing fully well that the province of British Columbia is famous for cutting down a lot of wood than it could use.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 50301938510731/k2311a013/1.3.10