Star Trek 101
  • I borrowed the book from the library and I enjoyed it, but I doubt I would spend money on it
  • Of course, the character and species biographies do occasionally reveal some details that are not as common, like I learned about some personal aspects of the lives of the captains of Star Trek

• by GenesisOne

Star Trek 101″ by Terry J. Erdmann may or may not be worth a fan’s time and money.

I borrowed the book from the library and I enjoyed it, but I doubt I would spend money on it.

The reason I would not purchase this book is because a big chunk of the book is dedicated to episode summaries and recaps of every episode of every Star Trek series, including the animated series, as well as the movies.

There is nothing “new” here and unless one enjoys reading about the plots of episodes, that section of the book will

likely be little more than dead weight.

There are other sections of the book that are more intriguing to read, like the character and species biographies.

Now since this book is basically designed to simply explain the Star Trek universe, a lot of this stuff is already known if you are a regular watcher of Star Trek.

For example, most fans know that the Klingons have a sense of honor and live for battle and that the Vulcans are dedicated to logic and peace.

Of course, the character and species biographies do occasionally reveal some details that are not ...

• as common, like I learned about some personal aspects of the lives of the captains of Star Trek.

For someone that is a fan of the series and movies and is eager to learn more about the characters, the species, the technology and basic ins and outs of the Star Trek universe, this is a great book to look at.

For those that want to know every episode the Romulans or Klingons or Borg appeared in, this can be a handy resource that notes what episodes one should watch to see his or her favorite alien race.

Lastly, for

those that already pretty much know everything there is to know about the Star Trek universe because they have already seen pretty much every episode and every movie more than once, I do not think there is much that will interest you in this book.

Sure, there is some trivia, but I doubt that is enough to shell out money for.

If you are curious about the book, be like me and check and see if your local library has a copy of it.

I will not be purchasing it though because much of the stuff covered in this book I already know.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17301937830531/k2311a013/1.3.10