Hazeldean House Bed and Breakfast, Dumfries, Scotland  » Hotels  »
4 Moffat Road, Dumfries, DG1 1NJ, Scotland
  • Hazeldean House is full of character and has many interesting trinkets and ornaments on display, which the owner took the trouble to show us
  • We had two double beds in our room, but unfortunately they were not very comfortable

• by sampriestley

The night before a family wedding in Scotland recently, me and my family stayed overnight at Hazeldean House bed and breakfast in Dumfries. On arrival the owner introduced himself and gave us a guided tour of the building. I have to say I don’t think I’ve ever stayed at a bed and breakfast where the owner paid more attention to the guests before. Hazeldean House is full of character and has many interesting trinkets and ornaments on display, which the owner took the trouble to show us. Our room at the bed and breakfast was large and well equipped. One thing of particular

note was the huge flat screen TV on the wall. We had tea and coffee making facilities, which were accompanied by Scottish shortbread. The only thing really that I could find fault with was the bed. We had two double beds in our room, but unfortunately they were not very comfortable. This is a real shame as the bed and breakfast is probably the most interesting I’ve ever stayed in. Some of the rooms are themed, including a garden room and a captain’s room. The captain’s room is done out like a cabin aboard a ship, complete with low panelled ceiling, porthole mirrors ...

• and a moving ship’s wheel at the foot of the bed. This is probably the oddest room in a guesthouse I’ve ever seen, and I expect it could prove a little claustrophobic for some people, as the ceiling is low and the room is quite dark. However, if you’re looking for character there’s plenty to be found in the rooms at this bed and breakfast.

Breakfast at Hazeldean House offers a good selection, including full Scottish. Guests are required to choose their breakfast on arrival the day before when they fill in their basic details. The breakfast room is comfortable and the food is

good. Again, this room has lots to see, including disco balls hanging from the ceiling!

There is some space for parking at the bed and breakfast, but spaces are limited. Hazeldean is just a short walk from Dumfries town centre where there are plenty of shops and restaurants. I’d just like to mention the owner of this bed and breakfast again, who really is the most helpful and kind guesthouse host I’ve ever come across. He even went to the trouble of driving two of our fellow guests, one of whom is disabled, to the wedding venue when he became aware they didn’t have transport.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2201936231231/k2311a012/1.2.10