A Christmas Carol (1938)
  • One of the first things I noticed was that one of the ghosts to visit Scrooge was very pretty, and I don't remember seeing such a pretty ghost before

• by Orrymain

As it turned out, I was only able to view one version of A Christmas Carol this year. Normally, I see several, but scheduling just didn’t work out, not to mention I didn’t notice this Charles Dickens’ classic being shown all that much. This A Christmas Carol was the one starring Reginald Owen from 1938.

It wasn’t the first one, but it’s darn close.

One of the first things I noticed was that one of the ghosts to visit Scrooge was very pretty, and I don’t remember seeing such a pretty ghost before. It turns out that the Ghost of Christmas Past was played by the beautiful Ann Rutherford. She ...

• really livened things up there during her part of the show.

I was also intrigued by Gene Lockhart, who played Bob Cratchit. I’ve seen him many times on film, but I never realized (or maybe I just don’t remember) that his daughter is June Lockhart of Lost in Space. June debuted in this A Christmas Carol

as one of Cratchit’s daughters. Not only that, but his wife Kathleen plays Mrs. Cratchit, so this is truly a family affair.

This version of A Christmas Carol is a very basic, simple accounting which makes it rather nice. It’s not embellished or turned too much into a soap opera as others are. I enjoyed it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11201936081231/k2311a012/1.2.10