Planet 51 (2009)  » Movies  »
2.5
  • Here I think the writers were a little lazy- it would have been nice to have heard some original music in the 50s style

• by opalina143

Planet 51 is an animated movie that attempts to turn the tables on the “alien invasion” genre. In this movie, the human is the alien. Astronaut Chuck Baker lands on a remote planet and is shocked to find it full of green aliens.

Dwayne Johnson voices this character, and I did not even recognize his voice. He does a good job, although the part does not really give him all that much to work with.

The movie

is pretty standard- there is a young alien who wants to impress a girl, the government tries to capture and experiment on Chuck, etc. The plot was pretty simple.

I did find the movie entertaining, however. The one thing I really liked was the idea the writer had to make the planet’s technology and culture mirror United States of the 50s.

This was a nice touch because it was in the 50s that all of the alien ...

• invasion movies got their start, and also in the 50s when a “UFU craze” really hit America. The movie featured music from the 50s, including songs that I recognized.

Here I think the writers were a little lazy- it would have been nice to have heard some original music in the 50s style. I think had the movie been a Pixar or Dreamworks picture this would have been the case.

The makers of the movie

apparently did not want to put that much effort in. The animation of the film is ok but nothing special.

Overall, I would say the movie is just average, though parts of it were clever and children would probably be amused by the story. I did enjoy it a bit, but I mostly am glad that I was able to see the movie for free (Optimum Rewards Card) It is a fine movie to see for free, but nothing special.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11101935981131/k2311a011/1.1.10