Sherlock Holmes’ Dressed to Kill  » Movies  »
  • I wish I could figure it out, but all I know is that whenever this comes on, I watch the opening with fascination
  • There's another moment that I like in Sherlock Holmes' Dressed to Kill and that's when Holmes is playing “Oh Danny Boy” on the violin
  • I think the latter outings were among the best, that Rathbone and Bruce were so in tune with their parts that it felt so natural

• by Orrymain

The very last of the Sherlock Holmes movies to star Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce was Sherlock Holmes’ Dressed to Kill. Parts of this story are among my favorite moments. I suppose the actors had these roles so down pat by now that it felt more natural than some earlier versions of the Holmes’ mysteries.

Regardless, the opening auction scene with the music boxes is probably my favorite Holmes scene of all

time, and I can’t even explain why. I just like the feel of it and the atmosphere of it. It’s quite long. Maybe I just like the music boxes. I wish I could figure it out, but all I know is that whenever this comes on, I watch the opening with fascination.

There’s another moment that I like in Sherlock Holmes’ Dressed to Kill and that’s when Holmes is playing ...

• “Oh Danny Boy” on the violin. It’s very nice and that’s a lot for me to say because I don’t really like that song. Again, it just felt natural to me.

The decision to end the Holmes’ stories was Rathbone’s. He’d done a bunch of these and decided enough was enough. He never regretted that decision. I do, though. I think the latter outings were among the best,

that Rathbone and Bruce were so in tune with their parts that it felt so natural. At least they went out in style with a good plot and story that kept us hooked and watching.

The very last moment was very light and again, natural, which is my word for this movie. It wasn’t overly dramatic. Holmes and Watson were just going forward and on to whatever was next. It worked.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11101935971131/k2311a011/1.1.10