Kaspersky Internet Security 2010  » Software  »
2.5
  • At first, I thought it was using the system resources economically and didn’t notice any problems while using it but later I found out that it was because I had not used any other internet security software to compare
  • There is no problem about these things at all
  • Unfortunately, Kaspersky is not an exception in this problem
  • However, if you are planning to buy a new security software, I don’t recommend buying that one

• by Bulent

I used both Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 and 2010 versions. This software is very popular among the people around me, for this reason I wanted to give it a try and installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 on my, and some friends’ computers.

First, I was ok with the performance of this product. It has all the basic features you can expect from an internet security software. It has anti-spam protection, firewall, antivirus and such. You can find the features of this product everywhere, however the actual performance is what counts here, so I am going to explain my own experiences with Kaspersky Internet Security 2010.

At first, I thought it was using the system resources economically and didn’t notice any problems while using it but later I found out that it was because I had not used any other internet security software to compare. Because after using Norton Internet Security, I felt Kaspersky was a bad choice even for an

economic usage of system resources.

Of course it doesn’t cause lots of differences if you have a high end computer but even if you have a high end computer, you will feel the performance drop while your computer is working under very heavy duties. In the other hand, the same thing applies for boot-up duration. I felt that when I switched to Norton my computer started booting up faster and this also can be considered as a proof of that comparison.

KasperSky Internet Security is good at detecting viruses. It updates itself very regularly and stays up to date all the time. There is no problem about these things at all. You can even monitor your network activity, the running processes etc. As an experienced internet and computer user, these features take an important role in my computer usage.

However, I can’t really say that Kaspersky Internet Security is the ultimate choice againist any kind of viruses we deal with. As ...

• I have experienced on a friend’s computer and read on some computer magazines, this software is not very good at finding and removing Rootkit viruses.

Rootkit viruses are hard to detect and remove. They integrate themselves into shell, and this causes many antivirus softwares to fail finding or removing them. Unfortunately, Kaspersky is not an exception in this problem.

Once I installed Kaspersky to remove a virus on a friends computer and I scanned his computer againist viruses. It found and removed some, but when it came to one threat, I didn’t have a chance to remove it! Whenever it detected something about it, it said “Kaspersky needs to restart your system in order to complete this protection” I clicked ok, and it restarted the PC. But despite doing that more than 4 times, I was still having the same message after some time and it made me think that kaspersky was detecting the threat, but was not removing it

even by restarting. For this reason, I can say there are better softwares to buy at that price.

To Sum Up, If you are using Kaspersky Internet Security, then you can stick with it. However, if you are planning to buy a new security software, I don’t recommend buying that one. There are 4 main areas I can rate an internet security software:

1: The Protection As I have experienced, Kaspersky provides a fair protection for your computer.

2: Virus Removal – Fixing : I have never seen Kaspersky cleaning any infected files but removing them. In the other hand, when it comes to rootkit viruses, kaspersky fails.

3: Optimum resource usage: I don’t think Kaspersky used my system resources optimally.

4: Firewall: It is possible to configure your firewall but I still didn’t like it so much, I felt it makes too many decisions without asking me. And again, I couldn’t manage to use Windows 7 home group despite changing the settings to right values…

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 303112934190231/k2311a1231/12.31.09