Movie: A Knight’s Tale
  • This movie is definitely not what I expected
  • I thought we had a Mel Brooks film intruding on the scene, or maybe Monty Python
  • The lady in waiting is a softer looker , and I know she will hook up (after the film is over) with that ever-so-cute Chaucer
  • If you want to see an amazing Heath Ledger, here he is

• by Chris Albertin

A Knight’s Tale (2001)a 14th century action/comedy/romance (Rated PG-13 for action violence, some nudity and brief sex-related dialogue)

I got this movie as a gift, and I wasn’t too sure about it. My first response was, “Yet another version of Camelot”. The gift giver replied, “But Rufus Sewell is in it!” “Who?” “You know: sexy eyes and curly hair. Eleventh Hour.” “Oh, yeah.” And we popped it into the DVD player.

This movie is definitely not what I expected. In fact, I never knew what was going to happen next. Of course, there was a romantic current of “boy meets girl and happy ending”, and there was “given lemons the hero will make

lemonade, preserve and win the trophy”, and there was the strong character dragging along his helpful mates. There is also the chivalry of Middle Ages, but just as you settle in to bare feet, rags filth and dirt floors, suddenly the soundtrack explodes with Queen, Bowie, Clapton or Thin Lizzy. It’s disconcerting at first. I thought we had a Mel Brooks film intruding on the scene, or maybe Monty Python. Once I let the soundtrack exist as its own character, the female characters crept into the story. Multi-colored hair? A white coat amongst the dust? High fashion of a different era? Gradually I accepted that as the symbolism between high and
      low class - my old English Lit professors would be proud.

The women of this story are strong characters, but women none-the-less. One is quite a sexy looking blacksmith who joins the merry band as a nondisposable member. The lady in waiting is a softer “looker”, and I know she will hook up (after the film is over) with that ever-so-cute Chaucer. Please don’t miss the love letter written by William to his love, Jocelyn. I rewind and rewind to catch every lovely drop of this letter by committee. When the two meet next, she wants poetry and he can’t deliver (without his committee). I howl with laughter every time I see ...

• Movie: A Knight's Tale
      it. Oh Woman, how truly superficial thou art.

I guess I have lived under a rock, because in late 2009, this is the first Heath Ledger movie I have seen. All I can say is WOW. He made the story believable, and his emotions surfaced and glowed through the acting. I know it’s make-believe, but when he was armorless, they strapped the lance onto his right forearm, and Chaucer declared him Sir William Thatcher in front of the prince, his blind father and the masses, and he defeated that pretty (but nasty man) Count Adhemar, I was with him every pounding hoofbeat of the way and enjoying every second.

If you don’t like

Mel Brooks, or Monty Python, I wouldn’t suggest watching this movie. If you want to see an amazing Heath Ledger, here he is. If you need an couple of hours to lose yourself in a funny, inspiring story, come and get it. One warning: bone up on your 12th grade English Lit. If you don’t remember who Chaucer (Canterbury Tales) was and know nothing about Camelot (Sir Ector, Roland and Wat), you won’t understand how funny this movie is. And please don’t miss the reference to Nike.

PS: don’t worry about bringing the kids. The “nudity” is Chaucer’s bare bum, and the kids will howl when they see him. All good, clean fun.

Raquel G. says :

re : If you want to see an amazing Heath Ledger, here he is
I really like Heath Ledger as an actor and I think he is amazing in this particular movie.

Denise Black says :

re : If you want to see an amazing Heath Ledger, here he is
Classic movie. It makes me feel good.

Eric Lawson says :

re : If you want to see an amazing Heath Ledger, here he is
Heath Ledger is good in the film, granted. But Paul Bettany is stellar and chess the scenery with what little he has to work with. A very enjoyable movie all around.

Rhiannon Oswald says :

This is one of my most favorite movies when it comes to movies based on medieval times. I loved Heath Ledger in it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 113112933750131/k2311a1231/12.31.09