Movie: Maid in Manhattan (2002)  » Movies  »
  • They look like they enjoyed making the movie

• by Chris Albertin

Maid in Manhattan (2002): a romantic comedy starring Jennifer Lopez & Ralph Fiennes (Rated PG-13 for some language/sexual references).

You know this movie. You’ve seen it a million times in the chick flick genre. Throw in a dash of Cinderella, a touch of Notting Hill, just a tad bit of magic and the boy meets girl with a happy ending. How does Maid in Manhattan make it any different? I got this movie in my Christmas stocking and was completely at a loss - I had never heard about

it, but it had a catchy title. I took the chance and put it in the DVD player. I enjoyed it! Even my husband wanted to know how they were going to take the story to the next level. It will never become one of my “kill me if you must, but DON’T take this movie away from me” favorites, but I will watch it again on those stray, lonely Saturday afternoons when I curl up in a blanket with some hot chocolate in front of ...

• the TV.

The magical touch for me is this movie’s supporting cast. Each member becomes a dear friend. They look like they enjoyed making the movie. Each character is self-supporting while adding to the story. I wanted to know these people in real life, even the bitchy character that Natasha Richardson fleshed out. And the son, played by Tyler Posey. . . could I please have a kid like that? Even if he is “gifted”, I just wanted to give him a bear hug, and the attraction felt by

lead character Chris Marshall for this child came thru as love-shine every time Ralph Fiennes looked at the boy. I would like to believe that you can’t “act” that quality of emotion.

Recommendation? As a date movie, yes. Have a need to escape into fantasy land for just a little while? I give it a resounding YES! If you are looking for a social conscious, Ralph Fiennes in his normal role or realism, this movie is not for you. It’s a moment of entertainment with a happy ending.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 113112933740131/k2311a1231/12.31.09