Movie: A Christmas Carol (2009)  » Movies  »
2.0
  • For my teckie friends I recommend this movie for the technical aspects
  • For my friends with families who want some early evening entertainment, definitely do not spend your hard-earned money on this film

• by Chris Albertin

Disney’s A Christmas Carol (2009) is a 3-D animation retelling of Charles Dickens’ classic novel [Rated PG for scary sequences and images].

At the outset I will admit that I have never been a Jim Carrey fan, and my favorite version of Christmas Carol will forever be the 1951 Alistair Sim film, but I was intent on enjoying yet another rendition of a holiday classic amid giggling children with popcorn and soda and parents weary from Holiday shopping.

I expected that audience magic that you get from a theater filled with viewers, but what I got was children asleep in short order and adults struggling to keep up with the story. When you’re paying big bucks for IMAX tickets, your family should not sleep through the movie.

My husband felt the computer generated “magic” was way overdone. It would have been a marvelous tool for tales of night-time terror, but it just fell short. I have to admit that there were moments when I felt the cold, I was surprised by a clever, momentary twist in what was before my eyes and I flew over the rooftops of London past St. Paul Cathedral, and everything seemed in perfect placement. The hilarity of Father Christmas left me wondering what in the world was so dog-gone funny - I just didn’t get it - but there were the times of darkness that sent the kids to ...

• Movie: A Christmas Carol (2009)
      sleep, the parents straining to see and I struggled to pay attention. Late afternoon dusk, flickering candle flames, old, cold, scary buildings and flying trips down midnight-black alleys, lasting several minutes, almost put me to sleep. Yes, I changed positions frequently and swear I heard my husband’s soft snoring more than once. I was relieved when Tiny Tim sent out his final, “God Bless Everyone!” because the darkness was over, and I could go home to my own version
      of a cold December’s eve.

For my teckie friends I recommend this movie for the technical aspects. For my friends with families who want some early evening entertainment, definitely do not spend your hard-earned money on this film. Instead, pick up a DVD of another version to watch at home. And would I buy this on DVD? With all the darkness on the “big screen”, it would just be a blankness with voices on my television. No thank you.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 113112933660131/k2311a1231/12.31.09