Microsoft Flight Simulator
  • In those days, we had Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000, and it was a dream for me to play that great game on my very old computer… When I bought a newer system, the first thing I did, was buying Microsoft Flight Simulator
  • The first thing I love about Microsoft Flight Simulator is, it almost flies in the real world
  • I haven’t tried this game with Direct X 10 enabled yet, but I tried Crysis for example and there was a noticable differance between Directx 10 and DirectX 9 versions, so I think the same difference might apply for Microsoft Flight Simulator too, and it would definetely give better visuals
  • Also, you can’t use stuff like instrumental landing with it as I know

• by Bulent

After studying maintanance and electronics of aircrafts at a technical high school, I had a special interest in aircrafts and flying. In those days, we had Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000, and it was a dream for me to play that great game on my very old computer…

When I bought a newer system, the first thing I did, was buying Microsoft Flight Simulator. The Flight Simulator series have certainly improved since that time, but I can say it is still carrying the same soul in older games. So, if you were a fan of Microsoft Flight Simulator’s older titles, then Flight Simulator X will be a game which you will love.

The first thing I love about Microsoft Flight Simulator is, it

almost flies in the real world. All of the real airports are available in the game. In addition, the popular cities are modelled really well with 3D buildings and more details. However, of course it is not possible to provide all the details for every city in the world but it is possible to download custom sceneries made by other users. I can assure you that there are so many custom packages for this game and its older titles.

This game has very passionate fans all over the world and they all have something in common: they are all interested in aviation and some of them are even real pilots. When I was an intern at the airport, I saw that

the technicians, pilots and even trainers in that place had played this game at least once and some of them were really knew every detail about it.

In Flight Simulator, it is possible to use the real navigation tools. You can choose to fly by hand, or you can switch to autopilot while you are doing something else. The flight times are realistic. You can’t fly to one side of world to another in a minute. For example if you do the things right, you can fly from my country (Turkey) to USA in about twelve hours but it might even take longer. Also, you can try landing manually, or if you have an advanced aircraft you can use Instrumental Landing.

One ...

• Microsoft Flight Simulator
      of the greatest new things about Microsoft Flight Simulator X is, it supports DirectX 10 graphics. I haven’t tried this game with Direct X 10 enabled yet, but I tried Crysis for example and there was a noticable differance between Directx 10 and DirectX 9 versions, so I think the same difference might apply for Microsoft Flight Simulator too, and it would definetely give better visuals.

There are many aircrafts to choose from. You can fly with both older and newer aircrafts. In addition, there are both turbojet, turboprop and even piston engine aircrafts available. Personally, I like flying with Cessna 172. It is a simple aircraft type with the essential features. However, it differs from modern jets a lot. Also,

you can’t use stuff like instrumental landing with it as I know.

I am not very informed about aircrafts and flight, however it is one of my interests. Even if I am not very passionate about it. Who knows, maybe with the assistance of Microsoft Flight Simulator, I will learn much more about aviation in the future. Trust me, there are so many people who got familiar with the aviation terminology with the help of this game.

There is also a very long tutorial section. It includes tutorials for every level of pilots. I began flying these missions but as I advanced a few levels, it got harder and harder. Mastering all the tutorials in this section would make anyone a perfect virtual pilot.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 282912932981031/k2311a1229/12.29.09