Restaurant Ferrymans Tavern, Cape Town  » Restaurants  »
V&A Waterfront, Greenpoint, Cape Town, South Africa
  • The calamari was some of the best I have tasted in a long time, tender without being mushy and lightly crumbed for a change
  • However the heat did not overshadow the taste and I enjoyed the meal immensely and was well please with my choice
  • Definitely a beacon of light in a sea of Waterfront restaurants
  • A favourite venue for British soccer enthusiasts

• by Niallsouthafrica

Ferryman’s Tavern at the V&A Waterfront has become something of an institution to Capetonians and you will be hard pressed to find someone who hasn’t had a beer there. Ferryman’s Tavern which opened in 1989, I was in Sub B at the time by the way, was the first tenant in the Waterfront and is still run by the original owners. Being someone that is well acquainted with the restaurant industry I will tell you that this in itself is a remarkable feat. Restaurants Calamari starter (R 31.00) to satisfy my desire for a bit of ocean going cuisine. The calamari was some of the best I have tasted in a long time, tender without being mushy and lightly crumbed for a change. It came with a portion of fries that was way too big and some lettuce that looked as though Peter Rabbit and been mauling it. Verdict: Good calamariseem to change owners as frequently as Ronnie Wood has wives. While I have stopped off in the downstairs pub/smoking area many times, I had never been upstairs in the non-smoking section

for a meal and after some deliberation we decided to give it a try. The decor and mood as we entered the area struck us instantly as pleasant and inviting. A large fire burning cheerfully had a lot to do with this perception. We waited awkwardly a little to long to be seated but eventually made it safely to a table. I started off by having an Amstel draught, one of 13 different draughts they have on offer, and it went a long way to getting the evening off on the right foot. The menu has a good choice of meals, with poultry, meat, seafood, vegetarian and a range of combos featuring all the afore mentioned on offer. They also have traditional pub fare on offer such as Bangers and mash (R 40.00) and Chicken Pie (R 48.00). Having decided to have meat as my main course I chose the. For main course I choose the Lamb Curry (R 54.00) which was said to be a traditional Cape Malay recipe. A good curry is determined by the amount of sweat in ...

• produces on the brow but also more importantly on the amount of taste it has. Food so hot you can’t taste it has never been my style. This curry rated high on both the sweat and taste scale and at one stage I even found it even necessary to get rid of my jersey. However the heat did not overshadow the taste and I enjoyed the meal immensely and was well please with my choice. The only disappointment was the rice it came with it which was very dry and a bit tasteless. All told a very enjoyable meal was had in a very cozy and comfortable atmosphere. Definitely a beacon of light in a sea of Waterfront restaurants.

Smoking section: Yes Wheelchair access: Downstairs only which is a pity.

Personal touches: - I found the placemats on the tables which where all old pictures of Cape Town and the Waterfront very interesting and a conversation maker.

The Niall Restaurant test:

1. The chilled beer glass test – Failed, the glass

and beer where leaning a bit to much on the warm side.

2. The Music Test- Passed, the music choice was good and played at a pleasant volume. The speakers small and unobtrusive.

3 The sport watching test – Passed, Sport lover paradise. Plenty of TV’s in the downstairs smoking area and a big screen upstairs. A favourite venue for British soccer enthusiasts.

4 The Child Friendly test – Passed, Presuming that the jungle Jim outside was not for adults any restaurant that boasts one of these is a winner with the kids.

5 The urinal Test – Failed, A good restaurant is judged on their urinal disinfectant system, the best being the ice block system and the worst being the moth ball system. A rather bad failure, a metal trough urinal on show that reminded me of high school. I was surprised I didn’t see the swamp monster emerge from the mess.

Result: 3/5 A good solid rating for the Waterfronts senior citizen.

NB: All visits are done unannounced and all meals are payed for in full by me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 72912932541031/k2311a1229/12.29.09