Vancouver International Airport (YVR) in Vancouver, Canada  » Travel  »
3211 Grant McConachie Way, Richmond, British Columbia, V7B 1Y7
  • This convenience and convergence of airport and transit is amazing, and something that not even the city of Toronto in Canada can boast of
  • For my December 26 recent visit, I decided to stop by at the Island Court, which is what the Vancouver Airport’s or YVR’s food court is called
  • At this time of the morning, I found not too much traffic in terms of the number of people who are going in and out of the airport
  • But what I enjoyed the most was the virtual monitor that came with a throttle where I could feel like a pilot and fly a plain virtually over any part of the British Columbia airspace
  • So I hope visitors to Vancouver will find this ReviewStream commentary helpful to make their stay more affordable and convenient

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

I went to this airport on Saturday, December 26, 2009. I was supposed to pick up a friend who was coming from Varadero, Cuba. His flight was delayed, and it certainly wasn’t this airport’s fault, so I had a few hours to kill.

I arrived here at about 11 a.m. through the spanking new Canada Line Skytrain system, Vancouver’s famed high speed, right rail system which is available from the airport from 5:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. daily. In fact, there is an easy access entrance from the airport to hop into the trains. All it takes is an escalator ride and just going through the doors.

What a convenience! Coming from the Skytrain or Canada Line system into the airport isn’t bad either. All one has to do is go down the escalator from the tracks and cross a glass-covered walk that connects to the airport.

This convenience and convergence of airport and transit is amazing, and something that not even the city of Toronto in Canada can boast of. I remember when I used to live in Toronto, I had to take a long limousine bus ride from one of the subway stations to the airport.

Here in Vancouver, I only take the SkyTrain and the fare is all inclusive, Canadian $5 during the workdays, and only Canadian $2.50 during the weekends and holidays.

The $5 is if you’re coming from the suburbs, from say, the city of Surrey to be exact. But if you happen to live within Vancouver, really $2.50 is all you have to worry about. Isn’t that great?

So who’s not to love this airport and the various conveniences that it offers? Mind you, it’s not as big as Toronto’s Pearson Airport, but it’s not behind in technology either. In fact, it is very much ahead when it comes to ease of access and overall efficiency.

I have been to this aiport many times since 2003, when I first set foot on Vancouver, and discovered what an amazing city it was. Nearly three years later, I’m still awe struck with the beauty and convenience of this place. They say that Vancouver has one of the highest standards of living in the world, but I have found ways to save on money, transportation included.

For my December 26 recent visit, I decided to stop by at the Island Court, which is what the Vancouver Airport’s or YVR’s food court is called. It was very easy to get there, I just had to go past the sliding doors into the International flights area, and keep going until I saw the sign and the boutiques.

At this time of the morning, I found not too much traffic ...

• in terms of the number of people who are going in and out of the airport. In fact, the lady at the Chinese food counter said that it was a slow day for the airport at this time of the year.

After having my breakfast, I decided to go to the viewing deck, which is directly on top of the fast food court. This airport’s viewing deck is amazing, I could easily see the planes on the ground with some taking off. It was one cold, foggy day, but I could see through it all from the transparent glass windows.

There are even telescopes provided in the area. But what I enjoyed the most was the virtual monitor that came with a throttle where I could feel like a pilot and fly a plain virtually over any part of the British Columbia airspace. That was way too cool!

I love this place. There are always cleaning crews standing by to keep the place spanking clean. And I feel safe to, seeing all the security personnel hovering around.

I rather relished the free Wi-Fi access in the airport, which I of course used to the hilt. I even managed to watch some YouTube videos while waiting for my friend. This Wi-Fi is really fast, and reliable. There’s no need to sign in, just turn

your wireless on in your laptop or notebook computer, click “I Agree” and then “Surf the Web.”

To find some information about the airport, I just had to click information on the same web page. Food-wise, the fast food outlets here are quite good, although not very exceptional. There’s an A&W outlet, a Starbucks, and even a Milestone’s grill restaurant. What I have experienced is that for less than Canadian $10, I could help myself to a great breakfast or lunch, such as the one I had at A&W and the Chinese fast food outlet.

I rather enjoyed my few hours of stay that December 26, in the airport. This is a great place to be stranded, there are many toilets, phone booths, boutiques and ATM machines in every corner. Trust me, I didn’t feel stranded at all. In terms of convenience in all its aspects, the Vancouver International Airport by far eclipses Toronto’s famed Pearson International Aiport.

This airport seemed to have not too many people inside at the time when I visited it, but this scenario will definitely change radically when the Vancouver 2010 Olympics sets in come February. So I hope visitors to Vancouver will find this ReviewStream commentary helpful to make their stay more affordable and convenient.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382812932380531/k2311a1228/12.28.09