Flavors of Provence, Recipes from the South of France by Clare Ferguson  » Books  »
  • I learned a lot about the culinary traditions and available ingredients in this region
  • I highly recommend Flavors of Provence, Recipes from the South of France by Clare Ferguson to anyone who wants to learn how to cook food from the south of France, and even to those who want to learn more about the region generally

• by Jessie Bahrey

Cooking French-style cuisine is probably the only style of cooking that my husband does not do; pretty much every other ethnic cuisine he does extremely well and often. I went looking for a good cookbook to widen his repertoire of resources and to make is easier for him to try a new and different style of cooking. I knew ahead of time that French cooking is infamous for using a lot of fats in the preparation of the dishes, but I had no real knowledge of it beyond that.

I went to my trusty cooking supply store and asked the manager for help in choosing a good French cookbook. She immediately

suggested Flavors of Provence, Recipes from the South of France by Clare Ferguson; she mainly suggested it because she thought that the food from the south of France was the best in the country.

She also told me that this book has been flying off her shelf, and that she had ordered more. I could tell just by leafing briefly through the book that the photos are beautiful, and best of all for me anyway, given my love of travel, there are numerous essays about the region’s local ingredients, which the recipes in this book use almost exclusively.

I was as excited to read all of the information as I was ...

• to sample the food that my husband would soon try.

I looked through the book closely before I wrapped it up to give as a birthday gift.

I learned a lot about the culinary traditions and available ingredients in this region. I have only been to the north of France, so I was quite interested to see that the style of food in the south is different.

The photos are exquisite, and all of the food looks wonderful. The recipes vary from easy to difficult, and everything in between.

The local bounty of ingredients that are used in the recipes include olives, Provencal herbs, garlic and of course, vegetables. Certainly, after

glancing quickly through the recipes, I can attest to the fact that there seems to be far less emphasis on heavy creams and sauces in the south, and much closer to a Mediterranean-style of cooking.

My husband was overjoyed to receive this gorgeous cookbook, and I will be very excited to try out some of the dishes. I highly recommend Flavors of Provence, Recipes from the South of France by Clare Ferguson to anyone who wants to learn how to cook food from the south of France, and even to those who want to learn more about the region generally.

This book is almost like taking a culinary tour of the area, without actually leaving home.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172812932100431/k2311a1228/12.28.09