System Of A Down - Toxicity (Music Video)
  • I know that in my review of Chop Suey I said that the musicians in System Of A Down all seemed to have excellent chemistry on that track and all of the members seemed to work and compliment each other nicely, Toxicity falls into that same description in my opinion
  • I know that in my reviews I tend to focus on Serj Tankian or Daron Malakian but that’s just because I’m drawn more to focusing on guitar work and how the vocals fit with that guitar work, but Dolmayan’s drumming is just too good on this track to pass up
  • When I first heard Toxicity I thought it was going to follow the same pattern, since it’s been a while since I really listened to the song, but Toxicity changes this structure up a bit
  • I feel bad saying this because I’m not really praising Odajian at all, but to be honest he just doesn’t do anything too impressive on this track, a lot of it is just following Malakian, which unfortunately he does a lot
  • To be fair, Toxicity is probably the more aggressive song overall but it’s interesting how System’s fans continue to top themselves

• by Grimmy101

Overview – Toxicity, a third music video released by System Of A Down for their second album of the same name is pretty much a performance music video but it has a few twists thrown into it. Rather than be a straight performance video, certain sections of this music video still manage to portray a story despite maintaining the performance aspect, but I’ll get more into this later. I know that in my review of Chop Suey I said that the musicians in System Of A Down all seemed to have excellent chemistry on that track and all of the members seemed to work and compliment each other nicely, Toxicity falls into that same description in my opinion. One thing I do have to point out however is that I have to praise John Dolmayan for his excellent drum work on this track.

I know that in my reviews I tend to focus on Serj Tankian or Daron Malakian but that’s just because I’m drawn more to focusing on guitar work and how the vocals fit with that guitar work, but Dolmayan’s drumming is just too good on this track to pass up. On Chop Suey he showed an excellent beat to fit with Malakian’s guitar riff, but on this track he really leads parts of the song from his drumming.

Like Chop Suey, Toxicity is one of System Of A Down’s more well known songs, and also like Chop Suey, with good reason.

‘ The Song – One thing that I noticed about Aerials and Chop Suey were that they followed a pretty similar song structure. Both songs started out with an acoustic riff before really building into a heavy verse, coming back down into a light verse, and then building back up for a very aggressive bridge. When I first heard Toxicity I thought it was going to follow the same pattern, since it’s been a while since I really listened to the song, but Toxicity changes this structure up a bit.

Toxicity does have an acoustic riff to start off the song and then it begins to build, which is why I thought it may follow the same pattern, but the verses of Toxicity are light while the choruses are extremely aggressive, although there’s also a very aggressive bridge in this song as well, similar to both Aerials and Chop Suey. I have to admit that on this track, Malakian, Tankian, and Dolmayan all have excellent parts and they all fit together extremely nicely, all of them are very driving on their own so when they come together you can get an idea of how it’ll be. I feel ...

• bad saying this because I’m not really praising Odajian at all, but to be honest he just doesn’t do anything too impressive on this track, a lot of it is just following Malakian, which unfortunately he does a lot.

I understand bassists not really always being in the spotlight but it would definitely be nice to hear a few distinct bass lines from Odajian, Psycho is really the only one that comes to mind and that’s only because he’s given space where Malakian isn’t playing. Nevertheless, the rest of the parts on this song are excellent and feature some of System’s more aggressive works on Toxicity, particularly towards the end of this song.

The Video – As I said above, Toxicity is really a performance music video, the scenes at the beginning and middle of the song are just of the band playing alone while the last few bits of the song include an audience.

However, I said that the music video has a bit of a twist since it’s able to convey a stories, and it’s able to convey this through projections. During some parts of the songs, scenes are projected onto the band member’s skins so you can see clips of various people projected on their bodies, a group of homeless people around a fire is one of the various

images that comes up in the music video. I just found this interesting because System chose to go in a different direction rather than split the music video between some scenes of them performing and then others of these scenes that were projected, it’s an interesting concept I have to say.

It was also sort of interesting seeing System perform the song in an all white room, or not even room for that matter, just an all white space. With music videos being so flashy and whatnot it’s interesting to see a band going extremely simple and really performing around and in front of nothing at all. The scene where the audience members first come in struck me as a bit awkward at first but it definitely ends up working.

I said that the fans in the filming of Chop Suey had a lot of energy, the fans in the music video of Toxicity probably even have more. To be fair, Toxicity is probably the more aggressive song overall but it’s interesting how System’s fans continue to top themselves. In the music video for War, they didn’t strike me as too much.

In the music video of Chop Suey, they struck me as a lot better and more with the music. In the music video of Toxicity, they strike me as extremely energetic and fit perfectly in.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 142412929570831/k2311a1224/12.24.09