Scars On Broadway - World Long Gone (Music Video)  » Music  »
  • I like this concept because it isn’t just a performance video and it isn’t a performance video with a storyline or clips to go with it
  • I could never fathom why a band would choose to hire audience members when they have fans all around the world who would be happy to be included in a music video shoot so I’m definitely glad that Scars gave their fans this chance

• by Grimmy101

Overview – World Long Gone, the second music video and single released by Scars On Broadway is pretty much a performance music video, however there’s an audience to this performance, and these audience members carry the meaning of the song. I like this concept because it isn’t just a performance video and it isn’t a performance video with a storyline or clips to go with it. The two are merged into one to make it seem like only a performance video, but you have to look at the signs that the people are holding. I assume it’s meant to be commentary on the signs that homeless people hold, but the things written on these signs are much more extreme then “Will work for food”, if you pay attention to the signs then you’ll understand what I mean. The concept of the music video matches very nicely with the lyrics to the song but I’ll talk more about this later. My final point is that World Long Gone is a much better representation of the album than They Say was.

Whereas

They Say was still a very driving and pretty good song, World Long Gone just has much better songwriting and substance to it. If you were to compare the first riff of They Say to the first riff of World Long Gone, you’d understand immediately what I mean by this.

The Song – As I just said above, World Long Gone has incredibly better songwriting than the first single, They Say. The only real complaint I had about They Say as a single was that it really wasn’t that great of a representation of the album, but then again, not too many singles are really like that. World Long Gone demonstrates just more varied and more developed songwriting by the band members in Scars. Whereas They Say was pretty much driven by energy, World Long Gone has excellent parts to it and a lot of good melody, particularly in the chorus. Like They Say, Malakian makes more commentary about the current status of this world and of society, and he goes at it from a pretty cynical approach. Well maybe ...

• cynical isn’t the right word, but he goes at with a pretty blunt and straightforward approach and he makes his position clear: this world isn’t in good shape. The guitar riff is probably the one riff on the album that stuck out to me the most and I always have to give praise to the keyboard work on this track as well. Although it’s simple, I feel like it benefits the song really nicely and it’s a nice touch to the overall song. Whereas the main riff is very driving, that keyboard part is very melodic and acts as a nice balance.

The Video – As I said before, I like the general concept of this video because it isn’t just simply a performance video, yet at the same time it isn’t really a performance video with a storyline to go with it. The video does look like a performance video, but the people that the band are playing to drive the story of the song and match the lyrics. If you look at the signs that the audience members

are holding, you’ll understand how they reflect the grim lyrics. One sign that stuck out to me was “Will kill for food”. Although this is extremely dark and grim, it’s good commentary made by the band on what they think that the world is coming to. This entire track, you should be able to tell from the title, is really about the demise of modern society and of this world. I also have to say that I like the general setting of the performance video. The band is performing at night around a burning campfire in a desert like setting, quite a bit different from the warehouse setting from They Say. One final thing I have to say about the video is I really like when bands invite actual fans to be in their videos, and that’s just what Scars did here. I could never fathom why a band would choose to hire audience members when they have fans all around the world who would be happy to be included in a music video shoot so I’m definitely glad that Scars gave their fans this chance.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 142412929310831/k2311a1224/12.24.09