Old Time Christmas Festival
Silver Dollar City, Branson, Missouri
  • The best part to me is arriving to see the over four million lights

• by Sandi

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

As a family we get season tickets every year to Silver Dollar City in Branson, Missouri. Silver Dollar City is set up like an old time city in the ozarks of Missouri. It is an entertainment park with rides, a huge natural cave to tour, leather and gun makeing and selling shops, crafts, candle makeing, candie makeing, old time theater plays, and lots more. My favorite time to visit is during the Christmas festival. This year it is running through the 30th of December. My sister and her family are comeing from Reno to spend Christmas with us this year.

As a treat, we are taking them to see the festival. Branson is in Southwest Missouri, about ninety miles from where we live in Joplin, Missouri. I am very excited about the festival, as I have been everytime I have gone. It is just a very magical experience. The best part to me is arriving to see

the over four million lights.

It is amazing. I am always mesmorized at first, it is hard to take your eyes away from the sparkling beauty of all the lights. The whole city is lit up in bright sparking lights. The Christmas tree is the tallest I have ever seen, with over one million lights. It sets right in the middle of the old time city square.

There is a parade that comes through several times a night, which my children absolutly love. It has a real life Frosty the Snow Man, a train that is lit up as well as the rest of the city, and best of all a real life nativity set. After looking at the lights and watching the parade, we always watch the Dickens’ Christmas Carol. This is the best live play I have ever seen. It even keeps the kid’s attention the whole time.

They have a live band to perform ...

• all the music and the period costumes and scenery actully transforms us back in time. The special effects are truly out of this world. Of course there are the rides the kids will ride forever. They have great water rides and roller coaster, all with there own old fasioned theme. Mine and my kids favorite is Fire in the Hole.

This is one the oldest rides. It is and undrground, insided rollercoaster, that is based on the story of the Baldnobbers. There are occasions that the weather permits the rides from being operated during the Christmas festival. This has only been the case one time for us. Another one of my favorite parts of the festival is the old time Christmas buffet.

They always serve smoked prime rib, which is to die for, as well as homemade chili, and all the fixens, as the hill people say. the kids always look forward to the old fashioned ginger

bread men, and I can’t get enough of the hugh apple dumplings. My husband doesn’t hardly get past the Chili and Prime Rib. He eats so much he is always misseralbe on the ride home. Every time, he says he is not going to repeat his mistake, but he does.

I am known to be a good cook, my my chili is no where near as good. I would love to have the recipe. Before leaving I always purchase homemade fruitcakes as gifts. I am not a fruitcake person, but my friends that like fruitcake say these are the best, and now expect me to bring them back one. I can’t wait to see the look on my sister and neices faces when they first see the lights of the Christmas Festival.

I just want to share the magic with others. It is as experience you do not forget.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592312928600731/k2311a1223/12.23.09