Metallica - Frantic (Music Video)  » Music  »
2.5
  • The problem with Frantic, and really all of St. Anger, is how much can a video help a poor song
  • I’m not a huge fan of Hetfield’s vocal delivery or sound on this song, or really most of St. Anger for that matter, and his vocals really hurt the song in my opinion
  • Lars looks like he always does, but Rob definitely looks like he’s into the song and he’s probably the only member in this video that honestly just looks natural throughout the video

• by Grimmy101

Overview – Frantic, a music video released by Metallica on St. Anger, is a music video that focuses on the idea of what would a person do if they could get their life back after their death. The question is would they live their life in a better manner or would they make the same mistakes that they were making before they died. The music video fits with the lyrics of the song and makes what the song is trying to say clear, but I just think the video could’ve been done better. But then again, to be fair, the song itself isn’t very good to start with in the beginning. The problem with Frantic, and really all of St. Anger, is how much can a video help a poor song? If I don’t want to listen to the song the video isn’t going to make me want to listen to the song any more.

The Music – I’ll say right now that when you have a bad song, a music video honestly isn’t going to make it

a whole lot better. Yes, it can help the song in some cases but for the most part, a music video won’t really make me like a poor song any more than I already did, and Frantic is that type of case in this situation. I, like most Metallica fans, did not really care for St. Anger and Frantic was just another song on there that I didn’t like to any major extent. Yes, some of the riffs on this song are pretty good but for the most part it just doesn’t strike me as anything special. I’m not a huge fan of Hetfield’s vocal delivery or sound on this song, or really most of St. Anger for that matter, and his vocals really hurt the song in my opinion. The melody of the verse doesn’t do very much for me and the lyrics to the pre-chorus are completely ridiculous, I don’t know if it’s mean to be a “clever” play on words, but that certainly isn’t what it came out as. The lyrical matter on the song ...

• is also nothing extremely special so that also eliminates the possibility of an extremely unique video most likely. Frantic may have been of the better songs on St. Anger but this still isn’t a lot to be very proud of.

The Video – To be totally far, the video honestly isn’t that bad. It isn’t extremely original and it’s slightly generic, but I wouldn’t call this Metallica’s worst music videos, it isn’t terrible to be honest. The idea of a kid trying to make a red light and then basically looking back at his past mistakes in life doesn’t strike me as completely original but Metallica does alright in some aspects of the video. Like a lot of their music videos that I’ve been watching recently, the video shifts back and forth between the band playing the song and then a story to go with the song. A big complaint that I do have is that Hetfield seems so unnatural and just downright awkward in this video that it’s embarrassing to watch. I personally thought he was trying

to entertain the camera a bit too much in the music video for The Day That Never Comes, but that honestly is nothing compared to the faces that he makes in this music video, is’ really just odd, strange, unneeded, and awkward. Some of the lyrics may be completely ridiculous in this song, and I’m sure everyone whose heard this song knows exactly the part that I mean, but that doesn’t mean that the faces Hetfield makes in the video have to be ridiculous as well. The shots of the rest of the band are alright though I guess, although the shots where Kirk is singing a few words strikes me as a bit strange as well though. Lars looks like he always does, but Rob definitely looks like he’s into the song and he’s probably the only member in this video that honestly just looks natural throughout the video. Again, not a terrible video and it does fit what the song is trying to talk about, but a lot of things in this video should’ve been changed or could’ve been done better.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 142312928220631/k2311a1223/12.23.09