Bell’s Whisky
1.5
  • It had a fairly bland flavour, but not one that imparted any distinctive taste that would make a drinker in a blind test say, “I don’t know what whisky that is, but it’s definitely Scotch
  • It would still hold its head proudly above the likes of Metaxa, in my opinion

• by Andrew HN Gray

I am a keen quaffer of Scotch whisky and I can claim a degree of discrimination when I drink it. Like all unique drinks of any kind, there are certain brands of Scotch which may lay claim to excellence in their own, if no one else’s eyes. Amongst those are the unique and, some would say, inimitable single malts for which Scotland has received envious glances from many competing countries’ own whisky industries. These include the likes of Ireland and Canada, the USA, India and, of course, Japan. Of course, Ireland and the USA spell whisky with an extra ‘e’ (‘whiskey’). Unusually, to those who drink whisky, two newcomers have appeared on the scene recently; Wales and England. However, these are sprats beside the huge industry north of the border, which produces both grain and malts plus a large number of ‘blends’, which use both kinds of

whisky.

Amongst the more famous Scotch whiskies is Bell’s. Bell’s has a place in the heart of many Edinburgh folk (Edinburgh is the capital city of Scotland) because a clock tower was given to the city by Bell’s whisky in the twentieth century and it still stands on Lothian Road, outside the Usher Hall where much of the International Opera which plays at the Edinburgh International Festival is staged.

In the mid-twentieth century, Bell’s Whisky was a giant among Scotch whisky brands and probably was the leading brand amongst a small number of others like Haig and Black and White. However, the take-over of the brand in the late twentieth century may have impacted on the popularity of the whisky, as much as changing tastes have done.

As a young drinker of whisky, I was not unusual in not finding whisky much to my taste. Although it would be a ...

• matter of horror to purists in the Scotch whisky drinking brotherhood, I drank it with lemonade, which made it palatable. It would be Bell’s as a matter of both price and availability.

If we now scroll forward to the 1980s, I was older and my tastes had changed. Now, as with many of my generation, the malt whisky and the blend with a high level of malt whisky in it was moving into popular perception as the taste of choice. I was not alone in this and started to find that those whiskies that were largely grain-based were losing their appeal. I will admit to being unsure what percentage of Bell’s is malt (I am fairly sure that they do claim an element of malt in the blend). Recently, I was offered a Bell’s and was unable to do other than to accept it. I will admit to

this report being a matter of personal taste, but I am afraid that my palate has changed over the years. I could not compare Bell’s to any other kind of Scotch whisky at all. It had a fairly bland flavour, but not one that imparted any distinctive taste that would make a drinker in a blind test say, “I don’t know what whisky that is, but it’s definitely Scotch.’ It was, if anything, unplaceable and entirely unremarkable. In short, I felt a profound disappointment. A leading product on the market? Yes. Quality-controlled? No doubt. It would still hold its head proudly above the likes of Metaxa, in my opinion. In competition with other Scotches, however, how does it compare? I, for one, would not rate it. I don’t think it has a distinctive personality. I think it is dull and old-fashioned. In fact, I found it plain boring!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 272312927860531/k2311a1223/12.23.09