Nars Makeup Primer with SPF  » Cosmetics  »
1.0
  • I love primers so I was happy to try a sample tube of the Nars primer
  • I've tried a number of primers over the past year or so and, as anyone who uses them I think, I have certain expectations
  • The primers I like have a consistency like a serum (clear)
  • They contain dimethicone (yes, I know that is an ingredient some people try to avoid) which results in a smooth, silky feel when applied to your skin and creates a barrier between any skin imperfections and your makeup
  • It may actually have too much dimethicone in it because, to me, it had a tacky feel and I know that dimethicone in its pure state is sticky

• by Sandra

I confess… I’m a skincare junkie and always up for trying something new to enhance my 50-something appearance. I love primers so I was happy to try a sample tube of the Nars primer. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Nars.

I’ve tried a number of primers over the past year or so and, as anyone who uses them I think, I have certain expectations… expectations that were not met by Nars.

The primers I like have a consistency like a serum (clear). They contain dimethicone (yes, I know that is an ingredient some people try to avoid) which results in a smooth, silky feel when applied to your skin and creates a barrier between any skin imperfections and your makeup. The Nars is more like a lotion or lightweight cream (white) that also contains dimethicone but it doesn’t leave that same silky feel. It may actually have ...

• too much dimethicone in it because, to me, it had a tacky feel and I know that dimethicone in its pure state is sticky. This product just seems like a moisturizer but it doesn’t even do that well.

Nars Makeup Prinmer didn’t make any difference in the application of or the look of my makeup. In fact, I put some on the back of one hand and the bare hand both looked and felt better.

The product does contain

SPF 20 and, because of that, the directions say to “Apply as needed”. Unless you plan to completely redo your makeup several times during the day, that advice is pointless since you probably aren’t going to want to apply it OVER your makeup.

My advice? Leave this expensive primer on the shelf and opt instead for something like Smashbox Photo Finish, Bare Escentuals bareVitamins Prime Time or Tarte Clean Slate. There are a number of better alternatives to the Nars.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 312212927420631/k2311a1222/12.22.09