Yahoo! Mail Beta  » Web sites  »
  • I still am not totally sure if I like Beta yet, but it certainly looks promising

• by James Fleming
      Yahoo! has been releasing beta versions of a number of its services in recent months. Among these is Yahoo! Mail Beta.

Yahoo! Mail is one of Yahoo!’s most popular services, and it is certainly one that I have been using for many years.

They have made several changes to it in the past, but Yahoo! Beta seems to be completely revitalizing it.

The biggest change I can see between the old Yahoo! mail and the Beta version is that Beta seems to be working harder to imitate a traditional

mail client, such as say Microsoft Outlook, giving this web-based mail more of the look and feel and capabilities of e-mail programs.

For example, instead of opening up messages into an entire new page, the page is broken into panes, one showing your message, the other showing all messages in the folder.

This can be closed down if you like, so that you only see one or the other.

I much prefer to be able to see it all at once.

Also, rather than having only so many messages per ...

• page, all messages in a folder are shown in a single window.

This certainly makes cleaning out your inbox a whole lot easier, since you don’t have to constantly move onto the next page of messages.

It also shows you better just how cluttered your inbox is (I was surprised to find I had over 1600 messages in my inbox, I had never realized just how messy it really was).

The transfer between the original Yahoo! Mail to the Beta version is very quick, and it keeps its promise to

bring all of your old e-mails and folders and the like with you, which is very nice.

If you decide you don’t like Beta you can switch back just as easily to the original.

I still am not totally sure if I like Beta yet, but it certainly looks promising.

I have spent most of my online life using web-based e-mail services, so I am not one who is used to this particular format, but the interface is very simple and in fact easier to use than the old one in many ways.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 20170992630130/k2311a0917/9.17.06