Cape Town Restaurant Bukhara Indian Cuisine  » Restaurants  »
Grandwest Casino, Goodwood, Cape Town, South Africa
  • I’ve been to too many “theme” restaurants that still cater for every man and his dog’s taste which ultimately detracts from the experience
  • I thought about it, but a rather vivid memory of an episode involving vindaloo and doing handstands in the shower changed my mind
  • I decided to be brave and chose the Prawn Curry (R 144.00) despite having read many accounts of just what this dish has done to innocent stomachs
  • My prawn curry was absolutely divine, with the prawns being of generous size and the flavours amazing
  • All told a wonderful meal was had and I recommend Bakhara to all those curry fanatics out there

• by niallsouthafrica

With the weather acting like it had got up off the wrong side of the world, we decided to try somewhere indoors and close to the family breeding grounds. Not being the gambling sort I seldom venture into the Grand West Casino complex but I had heard that there was a very good curry restaurant inside somewhere and decided to look for it and give it a try. Having negotiated our way safely past the gambling area and resisted the evil advances of a rogue one-arm-bandit machine, we managed to find Bakhara in the District Six section of the casino. The first thing to strike me about Bakhara was the authentic décor which gave the place a wonderfully mystic sort of air. Having settled down at our table I studied the menu and was pleased to see that Bukhara had stuck to its theme of being an Indian restaurant. I’ve been to too many “theme” restaurants that still cater for every man and his dog’s taste which ultimately detracts from the experience. The menu is basically separated into two sections, the tandoori section and the curry section. Our waitress, Bronwyn, explained to us that the tandoori section

was basically starter portions and the curry section obviously the main course. The curries on offer included lamb, beef, chicken and a prawn curry of which each of these where offered in about 6 different styles. The prices for these dishes all hover around R 80.00 to R 95.00 mark except for the prawn curry dishes which are pricier. I was recommended the Lamb Vindaloo which they say is guaranteed to put some hair on your chest. I thought about it, but a rather vivid memory of an episode involving vindaloo and doing handstands in the shower changed my mind. I decided to be brave and chose the Prawn Curry (R 144.00) despite having read many accounts of just what this dish has done to innocent stomachs. What I liked about the food when it arrived was the fact that it was served on the table in bowls which you then help yourself out of. This makes it easy to share your food because, believe me you will want to taste as many of the different dishes as you can. My prawn curry was absolutely divine, with the prawns being of generous size and the flavours amazing.

• I can honestly say that it was the best curry I had ever had and the rest of the table could not stop raving about their food either. It brought a subtle bead to the brow without detracting from the flavour and sent the mind spinning with the combination of tastes. I am actually salivating as I write this review and my stomach growls in tribute to this masterpiece. It may sound as though I am being excessive in my praise but this dish and the others I tasted deserve all the accolades I can give. Without a doubt Bukhara serves the best curry in Cape Town. Tradition Indian desert was also on offer but was declined by this soon to be obese critic. Our waitress Bronwyn was cool, calm and collected and served us with interest and panache. The only gripe I can think of is the exorbitant price of the wines in this establishment. Prices were on average nearly 3 times that what you pay in the Liquor stores. There is no need to price wine above most people’s station and a meal without wine is a sad trial to endure. All told a wonderful
        meal was had and I recommend Bakhara to all those curry fanatics out there.

Personal touches: - None

The Niall Restaurant test:

1. The chilled beer glass test – failed, almost as hot as the curry itself

2. The Music Test- Passed. Only because it was a BOSE sound system do they pass. Music content was a bit night clubbish and the volumn should never be such that you have to lean over to the person sitting next to you in order to hear them.

3 The sport watching test – Failed, not a screen in sight

4 The Child Friendly test – Passed, our child, bless her heart, slept throughout the meal in a pram next to the table without complaint from staff or parents.

5 The urinal Test – passed, a good restaurant is judged on their urinal disinfectant system, the best being the ice block system and the worst being the moth ball system. No toilets of their own but the casinos toilets were clean and elegant.

Result: 3/5 which constitutes a good pass in my books.

NB: All visits are done unannounced and all meals are payed for in full by me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 71912925520931/k2311a1219/12.19.09