New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  • I know what you are thinking, why did it take you so long
  • The first thing that I enjoyed about this game was the fact that it has the same view as the old games
  • The one expectation that I am disappointed with is online play

• by Anne Johns

The New Super Mario Bros. Wii hit stores a couple weeks ago and I, like most Mario fans, couldn’t have been more excited. I ran out and bought the game and after about a week, I finally beat the game. I know what you are thinking, why did it take you so long? But it is actually more difficult than the average Mario game. This game has many throwback moments that remind us of the classic Mario games that we have played a million times. The first thing that I enjoyed about this game was the fact that it has the same view as the old games. You can’t move the camera angles and you follow Mario from the side. Mario is a lot more round than he was in Super Mario Bros. 3, but it still gets you excited because you feel like a kid again.

The next thing that I really

enjoyed about this game was the 3 new “powers” that Mario can not have. The first one that you receive is the icepower. With this you can shoot out snowballs to freeze your opponents. You also still have firepower, so don’t worry die hard fans. The next power that you find is the minimushroom. The power shrinks you down which seems completely useless at first until you realize that you can now run on water, a very cool feature. And last is the power that replaces the frog suit from Super Mario Bros. 3 and that is the penguin suit. This suit makes it so you no longer slip and slide in ice worlds. This power is very helpful for gamers like me who tend to fall off the edge of things in ice worlds. You do not see any leaves in this game though, which was a negative for me because that ...

• is my all time favorite Mario power, but the game makes up for it.

Another feature that brought me back was how you end each level, by jumping on the flag pole and going into the castle. We all remember this from the first Super Mario Bros. and with an added touch of Mario taking off his hat and giving thumbs up, we get yet another throwback moment. The games also brings us back to the times of have world maps with castles in the middle of the world. With the castles in the middle, the maps also bring back the ships that we saw in Super Mario Bros. 3. You do not actually go on the ship but it is circling around the big castle at the end of the world.

The New Super Mario Bros. Wii exceeded most of my expectations. You can now play 4 people at a time which makes

the whole family happy, and if you can’t finish the land, you can drop out and let the rest go on. The one expectation that I am disappointed with is online play. In a time where online play is basically assumed with games, Nintendo failed to do so. The Wii is capable of online play but Nintendo apparently didn’t see it fit to make this game able to fit more people. I was pretty disappointed by this being in college and having my friends be far away from me. Online play would have given this game a 10/10.

But this game will receive a 9/10. Great game, more difficult than the average Mario game, great throwback moments, but no online play. Good job Nintendo, I urge any Mario fan or wannabe fan to go get this game, but you might still want to whip out Super Mario Bros. 3, it’s around the same game.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 281712924600431/k2311a1217/12.17.09