RCA Side By Side Refrigerator  » Housewares  »
2.5
  • However, there was a very large problem once we started using the RCA Side By Side Refrigerator
  • However, I would not recommend an RCA Side By Side Refrigerator for those who have large families as there is not enough storage space in either the freezer or the refrigerator side
  • When we do, we will definitely not buy another RCA Side By Side Refrigerator

• by sofcthy

A couple of years ago we moved into our new home. We were going to rent out our old one and because homes seem to rent better when they come with appliances, we decided to leave our old stove and refrigerator there. Besides, it was time to get a new one, even though the old one worked just fine. We wanted a refrigerator that made ice.

My husband loved the side by side refrigerator his parents had. To be able to go into the kitchen and get a glass of cold water, cubed ice or chipped ice without even having to open the door was fun for him. Since we all have a tendency to waste pops when they get hot, my husband felt the icemaker would save us money down the road.

Another thing about the RCA Side by Side Refrigerator was the fact that if my children or husband, who are diabetic, was suffering through high blood glucose, they

could get very cold water or ice to drink so that they would not get really dehydrated. My children love to drink water as long as it is icy cold or has ice in it, so the icemaker on the RCA Side By Side Refrigator was a big reason we bought one.

It was also a very nice looking refrigerator and compliments our kitchen very well. Aside from the ice maker, it also had two large drawers in the bottom of the refrigerator for storing lettuce, tomatoes, apples, oranges, etc. These types of foods are also good for diabetics, so we loved keeping the drawers full of them. Our old refrigator did not have as large a bins as the RCA Side By Side Refrigerator so we would have to keep the fruits out on the bottom shelf at times. I do not know how many times we opened the refrigerator door only to have apples or oranges come tumbling ...

• out. Very irritating. So this was another plus.

However, there was a very large problem once we started using the RCA Side By Side Refrigerator. We realized that with the refrigerator being a side by side and having an ice maker, we had little to no storage space in the freezer for meat, frozen pizzas, frozen vegetables and popsicles or ice cream. Since we have a family of five, having little or no freezer space for such things was a big problem. We ended up having to buy a small, compact freezer that we keep in our dining room.

So I guess this is a trade off. Do you want lots of freezer space and no ice maker or vice versa. We wanted and needed the ice maker so we settled for doing things the way we did. However, I would not recommend an RCA Side By Side Refrigerator for those who have large families as there is

not enough storage space in either the freezer or the refrigerator side.

One more thing. The ice maker seems to have a problem. Not too long after we got the RCA Side By Side Refrigerator, the ice maker stopped working. We had to get it fixed and now there is water in front of the refrigerator from time to time. Not a whole lot, but still, it is leaking from somewhere. My husband has checked the connection, which is fine so we still do not know what is wrong with it.

Also, the RCA Side By Side Refrigerator seems to be freezing food in the refrigerator as well as the freezer. We have tried turning up the thermostat in the refrigerator part, but things still freeze in the right, upper side.

We will probably be buying another refrigerator in the future when we can afford it. When we do, we will definitely not buy another RCA Side By Side Refrigerator.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 531612923730531/k2311a1216/12.16.09