Upgrading and Fixing PCs For Dummies  » Books  »
  • When I first got my Gateway computer, I really enjoyed it
  • Still, we did not have much money so I definitely could not afford another newer, better computer
  • I bought a book called Upgrading adn Fixing PCS For Dummies

• by sofcthy

When I got my first computer years ago, my husband bought it from a yard sale. It was an older model Gateway with Windows 95 on it. He wanted to start me out with something cheap to see if I would enjoy it. Silly man! He should have known that I would love my computer!

When I first got my Gateway computer, I really enjoyed it. Then I tried downloading and doing other things with my computer only to find out that some of the things I wanted to do was not possible with Windows 95 or the computer was too slow or had hardly to none memory on it in order to download anything.

This was very frustrating to me. I wanted to enter the 21st century after all. Still, we did not have much money so I definitely could not afford another newer, better computer. So I

did the next best thing…I bought a book called Upgrading adn Fixing PCS For Dummies.

Yes, I definitely was a dummy when it came to upgrading or installing anything into my computer. Still, I wanted to add a CD and DVD player into my computer….yes, it was one of those ancient computers with only floppy disk. And if I wanted to install one of these, I had to have more memory….not only to make the CD/DVD player work but also to have more storage space.

I got out my Upgrading and Fixing PCS For Dummies book and began to read all about memory, CD/DVD player and all that. The book told me exactly what I would need to buy in order to make my dreams come true. With a little bit of money and a lot of butterflies in my stomach, I did some bargain shopping and found what I needed. Now ...

• came the even harder task of installing what I had bought.

Once again, I pulled out my trust Upgrading and Fixing PCS For Dummies book and left it open, determined to follow every step. I just knew I was going to kill my poor computer, but I took a deep breath, worked up some courage, enlisted my son’s help and began. We were both surprised to find out how easy it was to install a memory card and a CD/DVD player into my Gateway computer.

By following the instructions of the Upgrading and Fixing PCS for Dummies Book, it took hardly any time to get these tasks accomplished. I held my breath as I plugged up my computer and turned it on. Still holding my breath as it booted up. I was pleasantly surprised to find that we had accomplished our tasks without tearing up anything!

After that, I could not be stopped.

I upgraded to a Windows 98…okay, that was not hard to do since the disks that come with it tell you pretty much what to do. Still, I used the Upgrading and Fixing PCS for Dummies Book in order to understand some of the questions the disks asked.

Upgrading and Fixing PCS for Dummies Book makes working on computers so much easier. And it’s not just for upgrading…like it says, fixing is also a part of it. I was surprised to find that I could fix many problems on my computer without being a computer expert and having to spend extra money I did not have to hire one. My Upgrading and Fixing PCS For Dummies Book is now very worn, but I still have it. Even though I ordered my Dell to have everything I wanted on it, I still keep the book around in case I need to repair anything.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171612923710531/k2311a1216/12.16.09