Funnel Cake recipe  » Recipes  »
  • It was a good exercise for my arms, but since I have a mixer now, I prefer to go the mixer stand route
  • I think I had two plates worth before I called it quits
  • It has both the look and taste of funnel cake and making it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be

• by C.Channing

I have to admit that I’m one of those people who have never been to a state fair or carnival, but somehow I have managed to get my hands on the funnel cake that is served there. There was a restaurant of some sort that used to be located right next door to my former high school: they sold fast food and desserts and one of the desserts they would sell was funnel cake. It was an old high school friend who told me to try it and I’ve been in love with it ever since.

I checked on Food Network first because I had been successful at finding childhood favorite recipes. There were an abundant amount of funnel cake recipes, but the

star level was up and down for most; it wasn’t until I came across Alton Brown when I clicked on his recipe. I didn’t even have to look at the star ratings to know it was going to be a good recipe.

The ingredients were simple: It mainly consisted of flour, water, sugar, salt, and eggs. The boiling process was easy and I had no problems with mixing in the flour: it turned into a ball instantly, so I knew I was following the directions correctly. The difficult part of the recipe would be mixing the eggs into the dough because when I made this recipe in May, I didn’t have a mixer and I had to do it by hand. It ...

• was a good exercise for my arms, but since I have a mixer now, I prefer to go the mixer stand route.

When I finished mixing in the eggs, I was surprised at the good job I did because it was just like the directions stated. I didn’t have a fancy piping bag, so I had to improvise by using a zip lock bag I had cut a corner off of. The oil was fired up and ready to go and it really didn’t take long for the funnel cake to cook up. I did have some trouble turning it over because I had put too much in, but it still cooked properly.

I knew I had to eat it hot, so I gathered

some of the funnel cake and put it the powdered sugar topping and boy was I in heaven. The crispy outside matched by the fluffy inside and the powdered sugar tied it together so perfectly. It light and filling all at once; I think I had two plates worth before I called it quits.

Overall, if you’re looking for carnival and state fair funnel cake to be made in your kitchen, then Alton Brown’s recipe is perfect. It has both the look and taste of funnel cake and making it wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be. My only suggestion is to use an electric mixer, and not by hand because your arm will start to hurt and you’ll get tired.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 491612922790331/k2311a1216/12.16.09