Nike Huarache 2k8 Basketball Shoe  » Clothes  »
  • The decision went to the Huarache, because I think it had a more unique appearance
  • It doesn’t really slow you down, though I notice it can be a bit of a drag late in games when fatigue really sets in and I get more worn-out because of a heavier-than-usual shoe
  • I believe the trade-off comes in the form of a more stable outsole

• by poyayan

When I first started getting back into basketball after going months without playing a single pickup game, the shoe that I wore was the Nike Huarache 2k8.

I remember, when I purchased it, I had narrowed down my selection to a couple of shoes: the Huarache 2k8 and the Nike Zoom Blur. I couldn’t buy the Nike Hyperdunk simply because it was too expensive. The decision went to the Huarache, because I think it had a more unique appearance.

Weight-wise, the Huarache 2k8 isn’t exceptional.

It’s a so-so shoe in terms of lightness, especially when I’ve experienced using such lightweight basketball sneakers such as the Air Jet Flight. Still, I find it manageable enough on the basketball court. It doesn’t really slow you down, though I notice it can be a bit of a drag late in games when fatigue really sets in and I get more worn-out because of a heavier-than-usual shoe.

Since the Huarache 2k8 has a high-cut design, it has ample ankle support—the same reason why ...

• it’s good for guards or wingmen like me who constantly run and drive to the basket. However, the shoe’s high-cut area is a tad soft. That is, the structure that wraps around the ankle isn’t as rigid as I would like. There’s still something that grips your ankle, but I’d prefer something more stable than the rubber strips of the Huarache 2k8.

Cushioning is also so-so, with the inner sole being a bit harder than most other Nike shoes. I believe the trade-off comes

in the form of a more stable outsole. This helps add to the stability of the shoe while playing, although it detracts from comfort. Additionally, the shoe isn’t particularly breathable.

Overall, the Nike Huarache 2k8 is a good shoe, but it’s not a stellar shoe. I give it passing marks for weight, cushioning, and support, although these aspects could be made better. There are many better alternatives out on the market, including the 2k8’s successor, the Huarache 2k9 (although I think the 2k8 edition looks better).

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 551612922490331/k2311a1216/12.16.09